Drain in garage floor

Originally Posted By: kelliott
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am fairly new, and I just recently saw my first floor drain in the middle of a garage floor. My first reaction was that was no good, because of potential for gasoline leak from car ending up in drain and taking out homeowner and several neighbors if it put enough in sanitary sewer, and something lit it off.

But I tried to find out if that’s really not “acceptable building practice” or if I am confused. All I could find was reference to sloping the garage floor toward the door to allow drainage, but can’t find anything that specifically says a floor drain in garage is a no-no. I suppose there’s also the possibility that it’s not going into the sanitary sewer, but how would you know that unless you could water hose it and see if it came out into the yard somewhere.

Keith

Originally Posted By: staylor

Kevin,

Typically, a seperator/interseptor device would be required for a floor drain in a garage. The devices are designed to prevent oil, sand, GAS, and other harmful substances from entering into the building drainage system and the public sewer system. The requirements will vary depending on what jurisdiction and codes are in effect for your area. Usually, if a seperator is present, there is a cover in the floor or just oustide of the garage to allow access to the device for cleaning and service.

Steve Taylor

Keith,

Sorry, I was talking to someone named Kevin on the phone when I wrote the reply.

Steve Taylor

Originally Posted By: kelliott

icon_lol.gif

But anyway, I wrote that drain up, but then wondered if I was off base on it. I couldn't find anything that addresssed it in code check, or anything else I have. I didn't see any interceptor, or any sign it drained anywhere except into the sanitary system. So I'm going to be on the lookout for that from now on around here.
Thanks
Keith Elliott

Originally Posted By: kluce

My parents have the same thing. The slope of the garage is going to the drain in the center. Their house was built in 1975 which at that time a drain in the garage was fine. I look at it this way, if a permit is never needed, then they don’t have to bring it up to code. It doesn’t change the value of the house nor a safety issue. So I don’t write it up. Of course, if I see something that doesn’t look quite right, I would write that up.

They are looking at selling the house in June. It will be interesting to see the report from the buyers home inspector. We have a lot of here and there inspectors working around here. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Steve: In which code do you find the requirement for an interceptor or a seperator? It’s not in the IRC as far as I know. I know that in my city the sewer district and the water reclamation facility frown on this, but the code is silent on it.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Ryan,

I am on the road now so I don’t have the code section in front of me but it was in the Standard Codes (sbcci) and now is in the Florida Building Codes.

I was the Building Official for a jurisdiction in Florida before I left to do private inspections so I had to be well versed in the codes. The Florida codes do not have a code book specifically for residential construction

(like the irc, or cabo I &II family dwellings codes.) With that in mind, the codes here are more broad based and cover all types of construction, such as commercial applications.

When I get back to my office, I will get the relevant code section and post it.

Originally Posted By: wrobedeau

Quote:
SECTION 1003
INTERCEPTORS AND SEPARATORS

1003.1 Where required. Interceptors and separators shall be
provided to prevent the discharge of oil, grease, sand and other
substances harmful or hazardous to the building drainage system,
the public sewer, or sewage treatment plant or processes.

1003.2Approval. The size, type and location of each interceptor
and of each separator shall be designed and installed in accordance
with the manufacturer?s instructions and the
requirements of this section based on the anticipated conditions
of use. Wastes that do not require treatment or separation
shall not be discharged into any interceptor or separator.

I found this in the International Plumbing Code. Thought it might be helpful.

Bill Robedeau

Bill: The IPC doesn’t apply to dwelling units. It is a commercial code.

Ryan,

The relevant code sections I was referring to are sec. 1004.5 of the 97 edition of The Standard Plumbing Code by SBCCI. It states that an oil seperator shall be installed in the drainage system of the system, where in the opinion of the plumbing official, a hazard exists or where oils or other flammables can be introduced or admitted into the drainage system by accident or otherwise. This is the code that was in effect at the time in my jurisdiction in Florida.
Since then , Florida has adopted it's own set of codes instead of the I-codes. The relevant section in the FBC-P is section 1003.6. The florida codes are based on the 97 ed. of the Standard Codes (with modifications)
Sec. 1003.6 of the FBC-P has been modified from Sec. 1004.5 of the 97 ed. of the SPC to clarify the types of operations where a seperator is required and it does not specifically require a seperator in a residential garage application.

Ryan:

How did you come to the conclusion that the Internation Plumbing Code is only for commercial?

Thanks,

Bill Robedeau

Hi Bill. See section 101.2 of the 2003 IPC, and notice exception one. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Whoa, wait a minute guys. Your citing of codes is very informative, but I must caution you that every individual state, county, municipality, and code enforcement officer has a different view on codes.

For fact. In the area where I reside are five different municipalities. Three of these allow floor drains (with their own little interpretations)., one doesn't allow them at all (in new construction), and the other one changes their mind every other day.

I would strongly encourage anyone who is not absolutly certain about a particular code to call their code official for a concise readout before issuing bad advice. I know for my area it's a constant almost daily call to the local code officials to get their individual read and interpretations on varying code compliance issues.

We specifically do not install and garage floor drains until we have received verification from the local code official. One particular code official I request and get his interpretation in writing. It is a very controversial item in this area.

Good Luck to all. Be careful.

John,

You are right. The AHJ is the authority on this.

Bill Robedeau

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Codes are only a guide to an HI guys … icon_wink.gif

The bottom line ... is that really an issue for a home? I dont think so.

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: mpetner

Is this an existing building or new construction?

The codes are generally not retroactive. If this is an older house, I wouldn't make an issue of it either. Installing garage floor drains may have been standard construction practice at that time.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Quote:

IRC R309 Garages and Carports

R309.3 Floor Surface. Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material. The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

However, some municipalities do not want that connected to a sewer, unless it is a combined stormwater/wastewater sewer. I don't get that completely, because it seems garage fluids are better ending up in a wastewater treatment system, instead of possibly working it's way back into a groundwater recharge area.

John B. ... I surprised the garage floor drains are such an issue upstate, as the above is also a quote from the 2003 RCNYS (NY adopted the ICC codes Jan 2003). Do many areas have MRLS's, or is it really an issue with sewer connections?

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong