Drywall crack

Performed an inspection on a two story home with raised foundation (concrete slab). Several doors/headers had cracks near the top corners of the trim - there was separation of the trim and door function was affected. I am concerned that these are structural issues. I am looking for more insight. Thoughts?


Typically cracks like those point in the direction where the floor structure has settled. In this case looking at the door the floor settlement is to the right. Look for other cracks to get an idea where the low point is.

Is it raised foundation or concrete slab?

Two different things

First floor or second floor, or both?

Quit Worrying … Call for a Structural Engineer whenever you see drywall cracks

A different perspective

Thanks for the replies!

I realize a raised foundation and slab are different. This is South GA and many of the slabs are built by double forming, filling with dirt and then pouring a monolithic slab. I should have been more specific.

I did recommend a structural engineer be consulted. He concurred that there was some settling which was causing the framed wall to bow slightly - cracking the drywall. He gave a letter to the buyer indicating that he didn’t believe the settling issue was serious.

Good information. Thank you!

I’d have to see a LOT more evidence of a structural problem than THAT before I called in a structural engineer. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I think Dan was being sarcastic.

All houses settle over time - building materials are dynamic. This does not mean there is a structural problem. A house can grow in length and shrink back down from morning to night just from the heat of the sun and the cold night air - as much as 1/2" on a 100’ house. Vinyl installers have to note the temperature to decide what size to cut their pieces.

Look at the house holistically and see if there’s a big crack (over 1/4")or deviation (side to side) that looks like the foundation is “on the move” and not just settling.

Maybe not. I wound up in court for calling a very small crack a “normal, settlement crack”.

Since I was right, it only cost me $6400 in attorney fees.

Now** all** cracks in ceilings or walls are deferred to structure specialists, regardless of what I think they are.

Cracks noted in bla bla bla areas, recommend structural engineer/foundation contractor bla bla bla close of escrow.