Duct material - 1955 midwest slab house

The boot or box below the register was steel, but I decided to stick my flashlight and camera in. The duct itself looks like some kind of rolled masonite or similar. The flakes on the transition between the box and the duct look like asbestos, but the coating on the inside of the duct itself doesn’t really look like the normal asbestos roll paper stuff I’m used to seeing, or the cemen

tious, fibrous stuff I’m also used to seeing sub-slab.

I’m going to tell the client to get it checked out, but I’m just curious if anyone has a more definite or educated theory.

Rolled fiberboard / masonite-style ducting (early ductboard)

6 Likes

thats as good a thought as any …there was some pretty sketchy stuff used back then,…

1 Like

Afternoon, Tom. Hope to find you well and in good sprit’s today.

Questions: What is the ductwork for? What do you mean by boot? Does the HVAC ventilation pass through concrete? Typically that involves embedding galvanized steel, rigid, or semi-rigid ducts directly into slab-on-grade floors.
My best guess would be that a rigid sleeve, like a slightly smaller sonotube, was placed into the galvanised steel cylinder to maintain the shape while concrete was poured. The sonotube got wet and could not be totally removed.

1 Like

It is HVAC ductwork.

All plausible-sounding theories above.

Thanks for the hopeful greeting, Mister Young.

It’s not a theory, it’s from Google.

Early rolled fiberboard and masonry-style ducting (often called duct board) emerged as a rigid, resin-bonded fibrous glass material used to build HVAC ducts that inherently provide both air passage and insulation. Commonly used for over 50 years, this material consists of a thick, compressed glass fiber board with a foil-scrim-kraft (FSK) vapor barrier on the outside. [1, 2, 3]

4 Likes

A house I owned a few years newer than that one had so many holes in the rusty thin metal duct work that I had chipmunks as full time house guests…

1 Like

Evening, Marcel.
Mistaken. its my hypothese. If it verified on Google, so be it but that is my thinking.
I thought the MB was to be used professionally? No slandering.

OMG, Marcel. Did you assassinate someone’s character? :grimacing:

1 Like

I missed the slandering. Where is it?

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies - solved from my POV.

1 Like

Did they put out a Christmas album?

2 Likes

I Wish …mine were a bunch of useless freeloaders…

1 Like

there was slandering ??? I always miss the good stuff…

1 Like

I found this image at inspectapedia

1 Like

One possibility…

https://forum.nachi.org/t/sonoairduct-asbestos-supply-ducts/241945

1 Like

Fiberboard HVAC duct, hopefully it’s abandoned. What few I saw showed signs of water intrusion, moldy with decades of debris.

1 Like

So, when are YOU going to start?

WTF are you talking about? You are getting worse for Krist sake.

Questions: What is the ductwork for? What do you mean by boot? Does the HVAC ventilation pass through concrete?
It’s not a theory, it’s from Google.