Dumb Waiter gets a citation violation

I should have taken a picture, but I did not.

State of Maine Inspector comes on my Project to inspect the Dump Waiter, and everything is fine and will get a certificate of use, with an execption.

On the back wall of the rated assembly of the elevator in the kitchen side a control box was mounted on the wall that was about 16" wide x 18" high x 8" deep.

To the side of this and between the control box and the wall, a 30 amp disconnect was installed 16" from the wall corner.
The disconnect is only 5" thick.

The violation, the disconnect needs 30" in horizontal distance with no obstructions.

The disconnect was only 13" away from the controller and the controler was 8" deep. So, we had to make a wood box to remount the disconnect 3" out so it was flush with the other one and now it is legal.

Do you believe this bullsh#t. This is ridiculous. The intent is to prevent someone from doing the same thing with an electrical enclosure that is two to three feet against the wall.
Go figure.

Paul, can you educate me on this one, or anyone else?

Thanks, We get a new one everyday. Amazing. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Marcel,

some days you’re the bug other days you’re the windshield

today was your bug day, there is someone in line behind you guarenteed

The code Inspector had to find something Marcel.

That is always a judgement/policy call. When do you need 110.26 working clearance around a disconnect. It usually is required on HVAC condensers, less often on the air handler, less that that on the water heater. How you deal with a dumbwaiter is certainly the AHJ call.

Should we not be happy that a code inspector is actually doing his job?

Code inspectors here seem to hang out at Les Girls, Body Shop, Cheetah’s, Deja Vu, Dream Girls, Expose, Milky Way, or Pure Platinum. Well, alright, not all of them. Some of them hang out at the Torrey Pines Golf Course, the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, Legoland, Sea World, Balboa Park, and Blacks Beach. Some of them obviously have relatives up in the L.A. area because they hang out at Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knott’s Berry Farm. :margarit: