Edging over shingle

I found an interesting edge I haven’t seen before. It was on an old (1880’s) house and this edge was on the small peaks on the porch facing the street.

The edging came from underneath and wrapped around above the top of the shingle, about 1/2 inch. it was tight on the shingle, but didn’t look like it was pounded down. In fact it was installed very neatly and looked nice.

Is it just a decorative edge, so that you don’t see the edge of the shingle from the sidewalk and street?

The area is not a high wind area. I pointed it out, and told the client I would try to find out more information.

Please let me know if you are familiar with a product like this. Thanks.

roofshingledripedge.JPG

Sorry, picture is too small for me…

I’ll see if I can upload the larger pic,
Randy

roofnachi.JPG

HI to All,
If that is a drip cap that I am looking at, it does not seem to be doing a lot of good on top of the shingles. It should be on top of the felt paper but not on
top of the shingles. Just my take on it.

Russell
BHI

Randy,

Russel is right. If they trimmed the shingles flush with the facia trims, nailed the drip through the top of the shingles, or though the fascia that is wrong. It appears they did not trim the shingles and that is causing the rake edge shingles to crown, overhang material forced flush, as seen on the 3rd and 5th course from the ridge.

Down hear we call it a “blivet” trying to cram 10 pounds of shet into a 2 pound sack.

Drip edges are corner-shaped metal strips that nail along the edges of the roof. They allow water from the roof to run cleanly off the edge. Without a drip edge, water may run down the side of the fascia and siding – causing stains and eventual damage. The drip edge also supports the part of the shingle that extends past the decking.

Along the eave, nail the drip edge under the builder’s felt and over the fascia. As an extra precaution, you may want to cover the nailheads with roofing cement then stick the felt down.

At the rake (overhang), install the drip edge over the felt and fascia. This protects the felt from high winds and blowing rain.

NOTE: The length of eaves and rakes may require using more than one piece of drip edge. Like shingles, lap upper pieces over lower pieces.

drip_edge.jpg (27.7 KB)

Thanks Barry and Russell,
The reason I asked was because it was so neatly done, it looked like the piece was meant to be there, not like a drip edge somebody installed wrong.

I’ll call it out to my client that it could lead to problems of water penetration.

Thanks again,
Randy

odd looking shingle pattern, do you have a full view shot?

Improperly installed rake flashing,… I usually see it installed this way on ocean front homes where they try to prevent wind damage to the shingles at the rake edge. I point it out as being wrong but also let them know WHY they may have installed it this way.

And yeah,… what Bruce said,… the singles look odd,…

What’s up with the shingle installation? Why are they installed vertically at the left side of the picture?

Looks like an attempt at a woven valley installation…if there’s a valley just out of the pic there.:wink:

As stated, the drip edge must be tucked under the shingles.

“Click to Enlarge”

A valley that close to the outer edge of the roof???

How about a full view of roof?

Randolf, I cannot make out any great detail on the edge from the photo however I can tell you that I ran into what you are describing only once in the past 15 years. Unfortunately on the home I found it on the time and trouble spent on the rake trim should have been invested in the roof install, the place leaked like a sieve. I did spec removal of this edge detail for the home I found it on due to the potential of the water finding it way back under the shingles at the rake edge. This is something that may seem to be unlikely but I assure you I have made many repairs to rotted sheeting and face boards for just this reason, usually to was a situation where no underlayment was applied or the drip edge was installed under the underlayment.

I would like to note 2 other items,

1. as stated by Barry, the shingles are buckling because there is no room for expansion inside that groovy edge detail.
  2. a more critical item that I see too often, at the left side of the picture I believe I notice a woven valley!?..if I am correct might I state that it is not a proper installation practice to use a full weave valley with a laminate shingle…reason is that there is a tendency for cracking at the common bond area also I think that visually it does not look as nice. The proper valley detail for laminates is open metal, closed cut or the california.

Hopefully this is helpful.

I was thinking it looked like an small entry porch gable considering the front of the house in the picture beyond. :wink:

The shingles don’t have the proper overlap either… If they did you should not see strips of black granules on a brown/tan shingled roof.

The lap is correct the black area you mention is a black granule pattern that is used to create the effect of shadows here but then none there…the illusion of a random pattern and varied thickness of material more similar to a shake roof.

I have not seen that affect I guess on a non-dimensional shingle. Even so, that looks like a good inch of black… I guess just not my taste… it looks cheep (Oops, inexpensive) to me. :roll:

I went back and looked close. The shingles are not 3-tab or laminate they are the base layer of laminate without the tab overlays notice none are notched for 3-tab). I’d say they were a bad run, defective and got past the QC folks at the factory. Contact the roofer that installed these or manufacture.

Also counting the ridge with about 5" exposure that is about a 4-5’ open gable with a shed porch cover on either side, therefore the woven valleys.

Thanks everybody,
I always get such quality answers here, I wanted to clarify some of the questions you had.
Yes, there is a valley to the left in the picture, and it is woven. The shingles themselves are odd, but I have seen them before around here. Usually on garages or sheds, I did not find any extras in the garage or attic so I don’t know the manuafacturer. They are like three tab shingles but there are no cut-outs, so they are really one big one tab. Like I said, I think I have only seen them on garages and sheds before, so maybe somebody is selling inexpensive shingles.

The shingles are buckling by the rake edge because they are stuffed in the channel. Thanks Donald, I was beginning to wonder if anybody had seen this type of channel before, sounds like it is wrought with problems. If we start having hurricane winds like on the ocean front homes here, we’re all in big trouble…

Here is a picture of the valley next to it, they did not make a woven valley, and here is a close pic of the shingle itself (and the full gutters). The edging was on the rake ege of the peaks on the porch. The second story roof was a whole new story…

Thanks everybody,
Randy

nachifront.JPG

nachifront.JPG

nachipeak.JPG

nachishingle.JPG

This is a non-approved method of instalation, will leak at every shingle abutment, and is in no way a woven valley. Requires replacement along with the drip edge immediately before damage or further damage occurs.

http://nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8499&d=1169170545