Educate me

Good day America’s finest. Newer then some inspector here. So I encountered this portion of suction line which was uninsulated and nice and frosty. I informed my client the the suction line should be fully insulated for highest efficiency. Along comes the seller who told me that an HVAC tech had said that ‘this just means its working’ So I stood my ground and mantained it should be covered…but is this a too small issue? is it mountain out of molehill? am i just plain wrong? ideas from the more experienced please
mike in MN

You are correct but also standing ground on something minor in regard to the insulation issue.

Biggest mistake is even talking to or discussing it with the seller.

I try to never argue with the Client ,( No one wins ) I will say gee I was taught that it should be insulated .Stop say nothing else,
Just move on and say something like Gee I see a loop in the drain Great! some do not put in a trap, Change their thoughts instantly…

Doesn’t have anything to do with it being uninsulated. That line shouldn’t be cold enough to frost like that. Sweat maybe, but not frost. Most likely due to improper air flow at the interior. Dirty filter, a-coil, both maybe, or the system may be improperly charged.

I guess it’s possible if you had no load on the house at all, but this time of year I doubt that was the case.

Ok, this is a pile of “Crap”!

#1 You don’t need insulation on that section of piping for any reason. If you think so please tell me the number BTUs per hour that you are losing efficiency in that section of pipe.

Take a look inside the fan and see how much piping is in there that is not insulated.

#2 you have a definite problem with that unit and it is not functioning. There should be no frost on that line for any reason whatsoever!

Unless this is a walk-in freezer there should not be any frost on any refrigerant line you see.

I’m not even going to go into why there is frost on that line. First off we need to learn that there shouldn’t be any frost on that line, so let’s just leave it at that.

I appreciate the replies. Seems to be some varying opinions. Dave’s being the most absoultely negative. Now I’m intrigued…will be watching for further input and reading through some HVAC material again. Thanks …all input great!!
mike in MN

Yeah, I’m really negative about home inspectors telling a home buyer who is investing in the largest purchase of their life that they need insulation on a refrigerant line when in fact the equipment is not operating correctly!

Not only is it not operating correctly, it will probably be destroyed and require replacement is soon as they move in and guess who they’re going to call?!

So get over it!

That’s a good idea!

Try that first before inspecting an HVAC unit next time.

My response and Dave’s response can’t really be considered an ‘opinion’. They were more like statements of fact.
His is just a little harsher than mine. No less right though.
He’s also right about them calling you when the compressor gets trashed from being slugged with liquid refrigerant.

David and Andrew each gave you the correct response to your problem Michael.

Insulation is not needed at that location and also not the cause or cure of the frost problem, which is a problem that needs dealt with.

Trust us Dave and I have both been to the well a time or two you have a probelm anytime you see frost on a medium temp unit such as a A/C unit. Now David and I disagree about insulation on the suction line I write everyone of them up Dogs need something to chew on besides the thermostat wire. :wink:

I agree low flow across the coils. Could be low on refrigerant in any case 4 hrs of on site Training with David or Charley and you might come to understand the frost on the suction line. LOL

Kevin, you know enough of HVAC that 4 hours with Dave and Charley, would make you an expert?

It would take me longer than that. Took them a lifetime to know what they are talking about.

When one is not up to snuff in a component of a Home Inpection, it should be defered to an expert in that field for evaluation and recommendation.

I usually don’t like to open mouth and insert foot in front of a client or seller.

Actually, I don’t talk to the seller. :slight_smile:

True Marcel but if the David and Charley can’t explain to someone clearly about frost on the suction line in 4 hrs, they should not even be Inspecting the AC.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&qscrl=1&sclient=psy-ab&q=frost%20on%20the%20suction%20line%20indicates&qscrl=1&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=80f92b156a9e6a4a&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1536&bih=772

Thanks for helping…all input read…appreciate bob’s links to more info. There were ample negative signs besides frost on the line so that I recommended having an HVAC tech take a look at that system which he planned to do. I appreciate the comments.
mike in MN