Egress Windows

I have a client that is purchasing a home built in 1972 as an investment property. The sill height of the window is 47". My question is, as a landlord, would he have to lower the window to prevent future liability in case of an emergency?

Well you could do that but it might be a tad easier to put a permanent step below the window. :wink:

Thanks Michael, discussed with client and he likes that idea!

i thought it was 44"

egress.gif

I believe you are correct, Rob. I missed that detail.

R310.1 Minimum opening area. All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet.

R310.1.2The minimum opening height shall be 24".

R.310.1.3Minimum opening width clear opening shall be 20"

:slight_smile:

Do you have the part about the height to the opening handy?

20 x 24 will not give 5.7 sq ft.

Be careful.

Not in Wisconsin.

people must be taller in Wisconsin…

Maybe we just are able to jump higher if needed. :wink:

I doubt that one.
Weight seems to be an issue in Wisconsin.

All that cheese.

cheese is good for you.

Don’t believe the crap your doctor tells you.

He wants you on statins even though the lipid hypothesis has never been proven.

Ha and bolder dash say I.

Milk takes baby cows that weigh nothing and helps them become gigantic Heifers in under a year.

Cheese is concentrated and even more fattening.

Perhaps you know more than these guys however…http://www.pcrm.org/media/news/fat-focused-billboards-warn-albany-cheese

Below is a pretty accurate representation of women in the dairy state.

cheese.jpg

The fat is not the problem.

The carbs are.

High fat, Moderate protein, Low Carb diets work.

They also improve your lipid profiles.

Do some research on Atkins and Paleo diets.

You are in for a lot of surprises compared to the conventional wisdom and the swill promoted by big pharma and the so called healthcare industry.

Or you can just keep eating high carb junk food and take your chances.

Good luck.

That would be the 5.7 sq. ft. Larry. They are looking for a minimum height of 24" and a minimum width of 22". Whatever the combination, it has to equal 5.7 sq. ft…

The sill height is maximum of 44", unless local codes change it to less. :slight_smile:

They eat much cheese in New England ?

Why?:slight_smile:

Marcel, the min clear width is 20". The clear area is 5 sq ft on the ground floor, and 5.7 sq ft on the upper floors. A lot of people miss that one.

In Larson’s graphic, the 46" dimension is to the “clear area” accounting for the bottom of the window frame. The “means of escape” height to the interior sill is 44", not the clear area from what I understand. I have had the AHJ in my area sign off on smaller egress windows that are double hung tilt-outs. By removing both sashes, it meets the egress rule as long as the sill is at or below 44" and the clear width is 20" or more, the min clear height is 24", and the min clear area is at least 5 sq ft on the ground floor.

Sorry for the thread drift but nothing more can be added on Egress.:wink:

Bob, I don’t see any Wisconsin cities on this list but I notice your little berg is.:shock:

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/lose-weight/the-fittest-and-fattest-cities-in-america