Egress windows...

Do awning (tip out) windows meet egress requirements as long as the dimensions are there?

When they are opened, the lower mechanism is in the way of egress… but I am unsure if they pop out for easy egress… I have a home that has two bedrooms in basement as well as office, bath and excersize area…

CPI_McDonald_WGardiner_90.jpg

Hopper type windows are now being manufactured to allow for egress.These windows actually “break free” of there hinging mechinisim to allow for human exit or entry.This is not to say that all hopper units accomodate egress.They must be made specifically for egress purposes.

Cheremie

It hought I had read an artical where they would pop free to allow egress… I could not find anything on these particular windows, but that does not mean they are not egress type… I have to learn how to recognize the difference I guess…

They were definately oversized and if the window popped free, I could easily egress (6-1, 265)…

I will post a caution to ensure the buyer inquires about the egress…two of three bedrooms are down so I imagine the code enforcer had recognized it…

Jeff,
I don’t have my dirty little code book handy but I believe the sq.ft. requirement for egress is 5.7sf second floor and 5sf. first floor. 44" min. floor to sill.

The egress specifications require clear space. If the mechanical components are in the way, the windows do not meet the requirements (common place in older awning type windows).

To qualify, the window must have a mechanical release or the ability to completely open (or pop out) and offer the required clear space, without the need to break the glazing.