Embarrassing

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have always tried to know the codes here in WI just for reference as although we don’t quote them, they tend to drive the deficiencies we find.

Last week I did an inspection on a home and noted the crawlspace vents were blocked and shouldn't be.
I have always noted it even though I never agreed with it for this climate. Today my client calls telling me the seller said I don't know what I'm talking about regarding that and some other issues.
I went strait to the codebook to read the passage.
I was a bit dismayed to know that I've been writing up something that I shouldnt' have.
Apparently I missed the part that said crawlspaces "outside of the dwelling envelope require ventillation".
That was a tough nut to swallow when I called my client to tell him I was wrong. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

He is trying to get out of the sale and was using the numerous defects as an out and the seller is fighting back hard. I feel really bad...especially since he was going to use me on the next purchase. Probably not now

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: mboyett

kmcmahon wrote:
Apparently I missed the part that said crawlspaces "outside of the dwelling envelope require ventillation".

Kevin,
What code are you citing that says this? The 2003 IRC Sections R408.1 and R408.2 don't mention that, or maybe I'm missing it like you were. Those sections do quote 5 Exceptions but not that one. Are you saying then that crawlspaces inside the dwelling envelope don't require ventilation? I'm confused.

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx
www.capcityinspections.com

We don’t go by IRC, etc. We have our own codebook here in WI. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

10-4, over & out…

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

kmcmahon wrote:
We don't go by IRC, etc. We have our own codebook here in WI. Sorry for the confusion.

That would be the IRCheese 2003 ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

icon_biggrin.gif