Entry from garage

Originally Posted By: djames2
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Help needed icon_confused.gif

I was hanging out in the garage(solving the world problems with some buddies) and the question came up about the walk door entry into my home.

The question is:
A home with a attached garage,should the walk door open into the garage or into the home

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

It’s easier to carry the groceries in if the door opens in to the house. icon_smile.gif

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: aatkinson

Quote:
A home with a attached garage,should the walk door open into the garage or into the home

Up here in Ontario, Canada, the door from the home to the garage must open into the garage, just in case of an explosion in the garage

--
--
Allen Atkinson
President
NACHI GTA Chapter

ACISS Home Inspections Of Peel
Brampton, Ontario
(416) 550-4345
allen_atkinson@sympatico.ca

Originally Posted By: djames2

Groceries are easier to carrier in, when the door opens inward,good point.

Thanks guys, I guess I would rather fly(Mad Better half) through a door that opened with me instead of being smashed by one opening against me. (hey) ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

aatkinson wrote:
Quote:

Up here in Ontario, Canada, the door from the home to the garage must open into the garage, just in case of an explosion in the garage

We don't really have a need for exploding garages here in AZ. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: dedwards

How often do garages explode up in Canada?

Originally Posted By: rcooke

djames2 wrote:
Help needed ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)
I was hanging out in the garage(solving the world problems with some buddies) and the question came up about the walk door entry into my home.

The question is:

Sorry this is a new one to me I have never heard of this .
I do know all doors from garage to the home ( where permitted ) must be weatherstriped to stop fumes from entering the home .
They must have automatic closer so the door can not be left open .
There should be a 6 inch step down into the garage to help keep out the fumes .
The largest % of garages I have seen I ( It is many ) the door opens into the home .

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: aatkinson

Hey Roy,

the way I understand it,it’s now code up here.

Allen Atkinson

President

NACHI GTA Chapter

ACISS Home Inspections Of Peel
Brampton, Ontario
(416) 550-4345
allen_atkinson@sympatico.ca

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

keep in mind too that if there is a step down to the garage, that a door shall not open over a step. people unfarmilure with the step may not see it and fall. natural instinct when opening a door toward yourself is to look down. were as if you push the door open, your already in a forward motion and just carry it threw (right on your face.) so if said house has a drop to the garage i’d say that door shall open into the house. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

Or it opens into the garage over a landing.

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

In our Az car ports, do we still need a auto close solid door?

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

mtimpani wrote:
In our Az car ports, do we still need a auto close solid door?

no

--

Originally Posted By: tallen

There have been discussions on this board were some folks don’t report anything wrong when the entry door to the garage is not self closing.

I report it as needing service, but the argument was that it could pinch little fingers and it was not required by the NFPA.

Anyone have any insite on this?

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

carports are an open air set up. no wall or anything to enclose a hazard. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dedwards

They do not require self closing doors here.

Originally Posted By: lewens

Brian and Doug

Why do your water heaters have to be 18" off the floor if installed in a garage if not for the explosion hazard. In the GTA ( Greater Toronto Area) the requirement is to have the garage open into the garage for this purpose. Having said that I have seen the door open into the house on many occasions and it has passed the building inspection. Another anomaly is in the GTA you are not allowed to have glass block used on the outside of a building due to the explosion factor when the block is heated in a fire but I have also seen this. It seem if you cover it up during the building inspection what the inspector doesn’t see…

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Larry, having worked in various facilites with “blast doors” I can not imagine that mounting a garage door one way or another would offer significant protection from an exploding water heater. It seems like wishful thinking.

http://www.overly.com/doorCo/products/blast-resistant/blsMetalDoors.cfm

--

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

You know what guys? Now you got me going, because after all these years, I can not answer it.

I do know that there should be a six inch step between the garage and the house but have not found this requirement in the IRC. I believes this might be local codes. Whether the door needs to open out or in is debatable and do not think there is a code on this one including self-closing. At least in Maine that I no of.
Door opens to the garage, there should be a stoop landing of at least 3' x 5' coming out of the door before you step down to eliminate an injury leaving in an emergency.

Water heaters on pedestals 18" high is dictated by NACHI.
Does not elaborate whether it is gas, oil, or electric fueled.
Open flame, gas on the floor from a vehicle, yes I understand that.
Electric, no, I do not understand.

I believe that most and some jurisdictions set their own codes to this subject using the BOCA Code or ICC standards, and not sure.

I would think with all the great leaders of the NACHI Association, that maybe we can get some help in this clarification of what is code or what is mandated.

I am a member of the NFPA and could not find any relevant information on the scanning of the codes, but that doesn't mean that it is not there.
It is just to time consuming.

Lets us ask help from all the members on this one to find out what is really required. We will then all know.

Thanks for anybody's help in advance.

Thank you

Marcel