Entry steps

looking for Opinions on this entry way needing a railing or not? When you have varying heights and tread depth one rule trumps another?

No railing

No, but you definitely have a trip hazard

Thanks for the input. I didn’t document anything about it but questioned the design in my head. I have plenty more pictures from this home and all I can say is it’s a turd.
2007 model and had all the tell tale signs of a JWH…junk, pure junk

I count three risers-all must be the same height and tread depth the same. with 36" railing. I thought only 2 risers and didn’t need railings or same dimensions.

**[FONT=Arial][size=3]R311.5.6 Handrails.
**[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial][size=3]Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each continuous run of treads
or flight with four or more risers.
[/size][/FONT]

Are there footers under those columns ? just asking :wink:

You have less than 4 steps and are not more than 30 inches above grade so hand rails or guard rails would not be required. But no tread or riser can vary more than 3/8 inch, the steps do not appear too meet the variance requirements.

I read that rule when I did the report. The picture not like being there in person. At the time I was looking at it they just really looked like a strange design and nothing that was planned out. I guess I wanted to write it up because it was ugly:mrgreen: Thanks!

The rule is correct but it is to vague. If you took apart the stairs and brought them to the bottom of the door two steps would fit and no hand rail would be required. In this case it is a tripping hazard and that is what i would call up but I’m pretty sure I would be laughed out of town for calling up no hand rail. Here in Canada the requirement is any platform over 24" must have a guard rail or a conventional stairs of three risers or more.