Evaluation by structural engineer?

Originally Posted By: lhenning
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a 34 yr. old home today. Concrete block wall, running east-west seperates the garage and basement. There is a steel girder running north-south.

Approximately 6 inches to either side of the girder is a vertical crack which runs from bottom to top of the wall; the crack is through the wall and about 1/8 inch wide.

I recommended evaluation by structural engineer.

Is this the correct call?

Your thoughts…

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Lee…

without seeing it, it sounds like the girder is supported by a block wall built on top of the slab without a proper footing to support the concentrated weight. I think you made the only call you could.

There's always a little argument around here regarding evaluation versus repair...and you probably could have worded this one "in need of repair by a foundation contractor utilizing the services of a structural engineer" or something like that...but "evaluatuion" is probably just fine.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: lhenning

Richard,

Thanks for the reply… You are correct that the girder is supported by the block wall built on the slab.

There was also a service door from garage to basement that was slightly dragging on the slab.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You think after 34 years it’s just starting to fail from an improper footing? I would sure like to see a picture or know more particulars.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Blaine…

From Lee's description the picture I formed was a main girder now resting on what is effectively no more than a column of broken hollow CMU's about 16-18" wide by the CMU width. The slab vesrus footing was a guess. Whether it cracked 33 years ago from an improper footing and hasn't moved since, or failed a week ago and is active is something that probably couldn't be determined during a home inspection. I am a long way from being any expert on structure but supporting a main steel girder on a CMU wall rather than a reinforced column doesn't sound right to me, especially if there were a bearing wall above. A SE seems like the only safe option.

Like you, I would like to see pictures. Got any Lee?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I agree with Richard that evaluation by an SE is the right call (even if it comes back that it’s okay) because it doesn’t sound like “normal” cracking. Plus the monkey is then off his back … icon_wink.gif

Sometimes there are changes (additions, grading, seasonal groundwater, severe winters, droughts, etc.) that cause problems to appear. Also, some buildings with issues or improper construction can be right on the edge (or going toward that) for a long time, and all it takes is one severe event or loading to push it over the edge and cause major problems ... look at what hurricane Andrew did to the south ...

Foundations & Structure can be difficult to make a call on, and one of the reasons this is a high liability area for an HI.

Just my 2 nickels as an engineer also ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong