Evaporator coil drain

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Had a horizontal furnace in an attic with cooling condenser outside. The primary drain (let’s not even talk about secondary drain or drain pan) terminated in a drain vent. I don’t like this but am not familiar perhaps with all the places where the drain can and cannot terminate.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/FurnaceDrain.jpg

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Russel,

Not being a "code quoter" I can't speak for the IRC or anything else, but I know that around here (and in VA) we're not allowed to drain anything into the sewer system that doesn't come from the city water system. Or used food products, etc ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

If that is a vent, couldn't that vent sewage gasses into the area the air handler is in?

Blaine

Originally Posted By: kluce

Originally Posted By: jpeck

The IRC is not specific about this.

"Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal."

But what is "an approved place of disposal."?

I would recommend a sanitary sewer connection in the case of the photo, through an indirect waste air gap and a trap. This is because that is an option specified in the Standard Mechanical Code, which more clearly states what can be done.

2003 IRC

M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas so as to cause a nuisance.

1997 Standard Mechanical Code

M304.8.3 CONDENSATE DISPOSAL PLACE. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be piped from the drip pan outlet to a suitable disposal place where it will not cause a nuisance as follows:
1. Units larger than 3 tons (10.6 kW) nominal capacity shall drain to a sanitary sewer drain through an indirect waste, storm sewer drain or an approved French drain.
2. Units 3 tons (10.6 kW) and smaller capacity may terminate in gutter or roof drain, on a concrete pad or other location subject to approval of the mechanical official.
3. Condensate drains from rooftop units may spill on rooftop providing the condensate does not drain into a street or alley, or other areas of sufficient amount to be a menace.

I forgot to add, it would also need a sanitary tee at the vent, not just drilled into it .

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: pdacey

jpeck wrote:
I would recommend a sanitary sewer connection in the case of the photo, through an indirect waste air gap and a trap. This is because that is an option specified in the Standard Mechanical Code, which more clearly states what can be done.

That explains what I came across the other day.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/IMG_0758.JPG

I couldn't figure out why there was an abandoned trap in the attic. It was probably for the old condensate drain from the coil pan. The house had a brand new furnace and coil. There was a condensate pump and a new line run to the exterior. The old drain probably ran up to the attic.

The furnace was installed in a closet.

Thanks Jerry!

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Patrick,

The problem with your photo is that there is now nothing there which will keep the trap primed. Once the water evaporates out of the trap, sewer gas will enter the attic.

But you knew that.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Jerry,

Yes I did. There were two other abandoned traps in the house, one in the master bathroom and one at the wet bar. The previous owner had removed the sinks and replaced the countertops but left the drains wide open in the cabinets. Surprisingly there was very little odor. I did write it up and point it out to the client.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Kevin,

With the a/c draining to it, it would not have been 'standing water'. Now, however, (I am sure) it is still not standing water (because all the water as evaporated).

Besides, it was not a proper fitting into the vent, it should have been a wye going in to the horizontal pipe. It did not, from the photo, even look like a sanitary tee, which would have been required it the pipe was vertical. Looked like a regular tee.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Kevin,

Maybe up there (and other places), but down here, that trap would not be a problem. In many areas it would not be a problem, and in many areas it would be a problem during the summer months.

That is why you should not find it, but another inspector might, in their area.

Down here (waayyy down here), we rarely use the heat, and many people do not. I've inspected homes where they had not used the heat for 8 years. How do I know? Because the a/c had been changed out 8 years earlier and they never installed the heat strips. The installer did not have the right heat strips, and forgot to come back with them. However, the same company had been servicing the system for the past eight years, so they installed new heat strips when they came to find out why the heat wasn't working. 'Oops' is basically what they said 'sorry about that'.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: khamilton

Speaking of which, Look what I found:

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/bcd/tag/interp/93-35.pdf

What is the easiest way to distiguish a sanitary tee from a "regular" tee when looking at one?

Thanks!

Kip