Has anyone ever seen

Originally Posted By: dkeough
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I did an inspection on a townhouse today. The upstairs master bathroom had an A/C condensate line coming out of the ceiling and dripping into the bathtub.They even put a chrome flashing around it to seal it to the ceiling. The tub had a nice rust spot from the back of the tub to the drain. My biggest problem with this is if I was taking a hot bath with the A/C on, The drip would hit my head like Chinese water torture.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Dave,

Not only that, but how unsanitary.

That pipe would be from a secondary condensate drain line. When it drips, that tells you to call an a/c contractor to clean out a clogged primary condensate drain. Call them, like, yesterday.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dkeough

Absolutely

It was up in Delray in Chateau something off of Barwick and Atlantic.
Just for future reference.
Thanks Jerry
Email me someday, I would like to get together.
Dave

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Stay tuned… I brought this up at a IBC code class. The answer is yes, It is NOT allowed.

The instructer ran out of time but he wanted to go over it with others. So I will have the answer next Wednesday.

He relayed that the answer is in the ICC Plumbing Code under drains and vents.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Beleive it or not, I think this is perfectly legal. When an appliance is installed on a floor that is subject to failure, there must be a secondary condensate line. The intent is that if the primary plugs up, the unit will spew its condensate onto the floor, and if the floor is made of wood it could destroy, leaving you with a furnace in the bathtub instead of just condensate. The secondary drain is required to drain to a “conspicuos location”, the intent being that someone will see the condensate dripping and call the furnace guy. Another wasy of doing things is to install a safety switch on the secondary that will shut the furnace off if the secondary becomes active due to the primary having a problem. Does that make any sense?

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Beleive it or not, I think this is perfectly legal.

Not really.

The secondary drain pan is required, and it can either be drained or have a safety cut off switch.

However, IF DRAINED, the drain cannot discharge where the condensate discharge is a hazard or a nuisance. It must be drained to a "conspicuous location", but not were it is unsafe, a hazard, or a nuisance, and a tub definitely falls into the 'unsafe' 'hazard' and 'nuisance' category.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry: How is it unsafe? How is it a hazard?

Condensate is non-potable water. You are putting bacteria laden non-potable water in your tub. When you are in the tub and it begins to drain on you, would you want that?

From the 2003 IRC.

M1411.3 Condensate disposal. Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal. Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas so as to cause a nuisance.
- M1411.3.1 Auxiliary and secondary drain systems. In addition to the requirements of Section M1411.3, a secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the equipment drain pan or stoppage in the condensate drain piping. Drain piping shall be a minimum of 3/4-inch (19.1 mm) nominal pipe size. One of the following methods shall be used:
- - 1. An auxiliary drain pan with a separate drain shall be provided under the coils on which condensation will occur. The auxiliary pan drain shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The pan shall have a minimum depth of 1.5 inches (38 mm), shall not be less than 3 inches (76 mm) larger than the unit or the coil dimensions in width and length and shall be constructed of corrosion resistant material. Metallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0276-inch (0.7 mm) galvanized sheet metal. Nonmetallic pans shall have a minimum thickness of not less than 0.0625 inch (1.6 mm).
- - 2. A separate overflow drain line shall be connected to the drain pan provided with the equipment. Such overflow drain shall discharge to a conspicuous point of disposal to alert occupants in the event of a stoppage of the primary drain. The overflow drain line shall connect to the drain pan at a higher level than the primary drain connection.
- - 3. An auxiliary drain pan without a separate drain line shall be provided under the coils on which condensate will occur. Such pan shall be equipped with a water level detection device that will shut off the equipment served prior to overflow of the pan. The auxiliary drain pan shall be constructed in accordance with Item 1 of this section.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

rpalac wrote:
He relayed that the answer is in the ICC Plumbing Code under drains and vents.

I hope not. If he is giving information from the IPC for residential dwellings he is incorrect. You should be using the IRC for that. The IPC states:

101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the erection, installation, alteration, repairs, relocation, replacement, addition to, use or maintenance of plumbing systems within this jurisdiction. This code shall also regulate onflammable medical gas, inhalation anesthetic, vacuum piping, nonmedical oxygen systems and sanitary and condensate vacuum collection systems. The installation of fuel gas distribution piping and equipment, fuel gas-fired water heaters and water heater venting systems shall be regulated by the International Fuel Gas Code. Provisions in the appendices shall not apply unless specifically adopted.
Exceptions:
1. Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories high with separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply with the International Residential Code

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Hi Jerry. I think we both agree that it is not the best or smartest location for the secondary. I also agree that the condensate is not potable water. I don’t agree, however, that it creates a hazard. In the section that you quote from the IRC it gives examples of such locations as streets and alleys, not srteets, alleys and bathtubs.

Again, I agree that it is not a neat thing to do, but I think it is legal. We may have to "agree to disagree" on this one ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: dedwards

The main reason condensate lines clog up is due to nasty disgusting slimy algae that grows and accumulates in the trap or low spots in the line. I for one would not like to submerge my “paraphenalia” in an algae infested pool of hot water. Its a good way to get something that won’t wash off. Too, think if you would like to bath a small child in this. It is very unhealthy, unsanitary and plain ignorant to discharge dirty water into any place where you put your body parts.

Ryan Jackson wrote:
In the section that you quote from the IRC it gives examples of such locations as streets and alleys, not srteets, alleys and bathtubs.

Ryan,

Nope, did not specify "bathtubs", it did one even better, it was all inclusive, it specified "or other areas so as to cause a nuisance". You would not consider that a "nuisance"?

"Condensate shall not discharge into a street, alley or other areas so as to cause a nuisance."

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: tshields

If im understanding the question right

Look at shape of meter base if all esle fails

rectangle 200 a

square 100

round 60 a