Evaporator vs. Condensor mis-match

My best interpretation is that the evaporator lable attached is a 5 ton evaporator. It is paired with a 3.5 ton condensor. How big of an issue is this and is it ever acceptable?

1 Like

Just taking a stab at this. This unit may have the ability to accept various sizes based on this from their manual. I hope an HVAC expert chimes in for verification.

Page 4
https://www.gearypacific.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/DA_DC_DE-IO-101520.pdf

1 Like

This is how Home Inspectors get themselves into trouble. Your job with the air conditioner is to report on function. Did it operate with normal controls (thermostat)? Was cool air delivered to every room? Reporting on size gets into the efficacy department which is specifically excluded in your SOP.

IV. The inspector is not required to:
A. determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the cooling system.

3 Likes

In consideration with Robert’s comment above, stand alone I likely would not comment on this. If there are multiple issues I might mention in it in my list of concerns while treading lightly on the subject.

Why do inspectors love the magic decoder ring so much?

Who cares what year it was made? Who cares if there is a 5 ton coil on a 3.5 tone condenser?
Never once did I look at that information during a home inspection!

Why?
Because it specifically states it is not a part of a Home Inspection.
You can not predict the life of anything, and you can not evaluate its efficiency etc., unless you’re qualified to do so. You’re asking, so you’re not qualified.
As Bob said above, don’t get yourself in trouble.

When working HVAC, if I needed a new coil, the part supplier did all that matchup stuff. They know what goes with what. If they were wrong, I knew it as soon as I started the unit back up. So even the HVAC Contractors don’t deal with this stuff on their own. That’s who you are going to refer this issue to, right?

When you buy Auto Parts, who determines the new part for a part no longer made?

Sometimes it’s State specific.
Florida SOP requires the HVAC capacity, BTU’s (or kilowatts), listed in the report.

I’m sure the requirement is for “Stated” not “Determined”, as in what is stated on the ‘Data plate’ vs what a technician may determine while installing or servicing.

Yes there are times when it calls for a 5 ton coil and 3.5 ton AC. It’s rare but to hit a certain seer rating it happens. I never comment even if I think they are mismatched as long as it’s working good

1 Like