existing egrees

Originally Posted By: Geo Syder
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

new to forum

if talked about please direct me

existing window in basement,finishing basement(no bedroom)will existing window past if not totally correct? Thanks icon_question.gif

opening dimensions ok 46" off the floor when built

Originally Posted By: ssopha

correct??

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Hi Geo,

If the basement is unfinished and sill height of window is 46" off of floor, if carpet and pad is being installed that may lower the height to near today's code of 44". Seeing that the house is existing, I don't believe that your building department would make you alter it. If you were making a bedroom there, then possibly. It is being made into habitable space now so it may be up to them.

In taking a common sense approach to it I'd look more at the ability to get out of the window/window well. When in the basement, a chair or something to climb on can get you to the sill, the harder part is getting to grade level. That's where a ladder for the window well may come into play. The ladder would have to meet today's codes(if there is not a ladder there already).

Hope that helps you a little. If you have to get a permit to finish the basement, you'll most likely have to submit plans and the reviewer will let you know what you will need to do.

Hope that helps.

Sue

Originally Posted By: Geo Syder

THANKS! for the reply

makes you fell really welcome with all the red lettering, edit if you must , there will be no future questions from me. GEO icon_question.gif