Explanantion to a Real Estate Company owner.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What a day. icon_mad.gif

I did an inspection for a Realtor’s client last week. and this was this first time I had worked with this Realtor, so she asked if I could drop off some cards and brochures by her office. I agreed.

The inspection went well, but there were several things that needed attention in the home I inspected.

So, today when I attempted to drop off the brochures, I introduced myself to the company owner. He said that he wanted to talk with me. He brought me into his office, closed the door, and the converstion started like this, “Look, mister. I have been in the real estate business for 44 years…”

He was upset that I refused to provide him and his Realtor a copy of the report. This was a specific requirement by the home buyers.

He questioned everything about what the buyers requested, and exactly what I had seen or reported.

I didn’t disclose much and I told him that this discussion should be between the buyers and the seller’s Realtor.

Needless to say, I didn’t leave the brochures.

How should I have handled this? I value the privacy of my clients, and I need to keep my credibility in tact. But I think I should have done something differently. Any comments?

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Ed,

First, realize that the Broker “owns” any deals by his agents, so anything that can be released to the agent is released to the Broker. This is the law.

You said it was a specific requirement of the buyers. What was? To release the info to their agent or not to release? If the requirement was to release, you should have given the Broker any info he needed. If the requirement was to not release, you shouldn't have told him anything and politely explained that your client did not want any info released and that understanding the requirements of fiduciary responsibilities and privacy that he/she would understand why he/she needed to talk to the client. A real estate broker fully understands what can happen if these two things are violated. I would have left the brochures. Anyway, wouldn't lose too much sleep over an a**h***.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Bob,

For the record, it was a requirement for me NOT to share the report by the buyers (my clients). Great input, thanks.

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Ed,

I ask the buyer if he wants the report released to anyone IN FRONT OF the buyer's agent. I circle the selected option on the pre-inspection agreement and initial it. I then have the client sign the PIA in front of the agent. This sets the tone up front. I take myself out of the equation from the get-go. If I were confronted by the broker, I would direct them to the buyer, as I was simply following the buyer's instructions.

Interesting... I was with the managing associate broker of the single largest office of the dominant real estate agency in the county this morning. This company's position (its official policy) barrs any agent from following or badgering the inspector. This agency wants virtually no contact with the inspector during the inspection process. They do not want to see the report either. It has to do with their legal obligation to disclose whatever defects are discovered. So, in this instance, the realtors have a strictly "hands-off" policy.

I'd take Bob's advice. Dont lose sleep over an a$$hole.

Joe F

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ed,

Sounds like the broker was just having a "bad hair day" and just so happens you were there for him to vent on. Everyone has days like this.

I would not let it go and say nothing, if you ever want any work from them. I know from a personal standpoint he was very intimidating and I would feel the same way if he had treated me that way.

Drop back in that office or call him and explain that you place a high value on client confidentiality and in the future you will ask the client if they would like you to provide the agent with additional copies of the report, this is just common courtesy.

BTW...it is not between the buyer and the seller agent. The agents (buyer and seller) essentially re-negotiate the deal when the inspection report is presented to them by the buyer agent. You should not get involved at all with what is negotiated, you are just there to report any issues you find.

NEVER and I do mean NEVER tell the client what to ask for. You may end up killing the deal if the seller refuses to correct that issue. Try to remember these people are adults and as adults they are capable of making their own decisions on what they can live with, so make sure you don't scare them away with something that be easily or inexpensively fixed.

Hope this helps!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Ed,

My take on this Broker would be that if he has been in the business for 44 years he should know that your obligation is to your client and any information shared with his office has to come through your client, your client's agent or (if through you) with his specific approval.

Sounded like he was trying to play the intimidation card in hopes of getting more favorable reports if he deals with you in the future. (Some people do that.)

OR

Your report just revealed something that is making him actually have to work a little bit to put the deal together, (or maybe even killed it) and he's taking it out on you.

OR

Maybe he is a Raiders fan and just hasn't gotten over it yet! icon_smile.gif

I personnaly wouldn't hesitate to send my info. packet directly to the agents. If this guy is really as big a "jerk" as it sounds he probably looses alot of agents to more professional offices.

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

Ed,

I probably wouldve booked right after "<span style="font-weight: bold">listen here mister</span>" If he had X amount of yrs of expierence like he claims he should understand the inspectors SOP.Ive had realtors try to control inspections from the get go & it just dont happen.... Unless the client agrees to release that information ..the realtor is SOL...my report has in it whether copies are to be given to the realtor or not. You will be tested from time to time by realtors but remember your code of ethics..Its your reputation on the line & maybe you might lose that realtor…& thats ok…you don`t want to do inspections for any realtor that would sacrifice your reputation…

Good luck & hang in there icon_exclaim.gif

Mike

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike,

Everyone has bad days. You do not have to sacrafice you honesty or intergrity, just stand your ground. Be firm, be polite. At least you will get the respect you deserve when they realize you are a person of good values.

Joe Myers