realtor asked for a report today??

Originally Posted By: bmargiotti
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

greetings,

let me preface by saying i havnt done a lot of inspections, but i had a first for myself today. after the inspection concluded and i was walking out with the future homeowner and his realtor said, “how do you want to get me a copy of the report? Fax it to me?” ive never had one ask for a copy before, but as a home inspector we are providing the report for OUR customer. if they want to pass out copies, that up to them, correct? i didnt want to insult her, so i said, “yea, sure” and took another business card from her.

Bob

Originally Posted By: vsantos

bmargiotti wrote:
greetings,
let me preface by saying i havnt done a lot of inspections, but i had a first for myself today. after the inspection concluded and i was walking out with the future homeowner and his realtor said, "how do you want to get me a copy of the report? Fax it to me?" ive never had one ask for a copy before, but as a home inspector we are providing the report for OUR customer. if they want to pass out copies, that up to them, correct? i didnt want to insult her, so i said, "yea, sure" and took another business card from her.

Bob

Why do you think you would be insulting her, by telling her the truth? What you did instead is let her know you do in fact give realtors a copy of the report, which is supposed to be confidential information.

The report is for your client only. If your client want's to pass along copies of the report, that is up to them. You should have asked the realtor how she want's to pay for the report, cash or check.

Originally Posted By: lkage

My inspection agreement says:

Client agrees to release report to seller/buyer/REALTOR yes___no___.

and they circle who they want and initial or check yes or check no.

I find this helpful when someone has questions or wants a full copy.

If my client wants someone to have it they get it if not they don't.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: tallen

If your client was there, you should have just asked them if it was Ok to send a copy to the agent.

The End ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

tallen wrote:
If your client was there, you should have just asked them if it was Ok to send a copy to the agent.

The End ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Our Office inquires if there will be any additional copies of the HI Report needed for Mortgage Companies, Insurance Companies, Attorneys, Brokers or Agents.

The additional requests for reports are noted and forwarded accordingly.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: tallen

I would say that 99% of the time my client want’s me to send a copy of the report to the’re Realtor. I have always asked them after the inspection.

I have had the listing agents call me and ask me for a copy and I tell them that I will need to get the ok from my client first.

I had never thought to ask about it when the inspection was scheduled.

DUH!

I will add a new line to my scheduling sheet.

Who gets a copy?

Clients Realtor____

Sellers Realtor_____

Anyone else_________________________________

I don't know ask my agent______ ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: syared

I use a check box on my inspection agreement also, it’s right below there signature line. 99% of the time they want their Realtor to get the report so an addendum can be written.

Sometimes the client asks if the listing Realtor should get a copy and my answer is always no, because the listing Realtor will get the information from their Realtor.

--
Steve Yared
The Home Examiner, LLC
(616) 776-7725

http://www.TheHomeExaminer.com

Originally Posted By: dnice

Upon client’s permission I give them an email link to a password protected pdf file. If they want a printed copy they can copy the client’s or print out the pdf file.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

My report has four complete copies ready at the end of the inspection. I keep one and give three complete copies to my customer. They are then free to share the report with whomever they like. I only give the report to

the buyer who paid for it.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bmargiotti

thanks for all the responses… i guess its not all that out of the ordinary then. ill call my client and tell him she asked for a copy and does he want to fax it to her or should i.

thanks all,
Bob

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

they check the box that they don’t want them to have it. It gives you a chance to stop by and see that agent ( or others in that office ) and get to be better known. I state that

“I recommend their agent get a copy so they can discuss any questions or concerns they may have” I find most agents don’t even look at it, but at least I got a chance to “see them”! Hope this helps. John icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: osmith

My inspection agreement also says:

If the client says no the, realtor is out of luck. Be carfull because you never know what that realtor will do with that report-especially if the deals falls through for that particluar client.

Oscar

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.

Originally Posted By: slubrino

I only give my report to the client and their lawyer, from what i have been told by other inspectors, giving the report to a realtor could enable that realtor to give it to a second buyer if your client pulls out of the deal.

May the wind be always at your back and Don’t sweat the small stuff.

9/11 Always Remembered, Never Forgotten

Originally Posted By: dnice

osmith wrote:
My inspection agreement also says:

If the client says no the, realtor is out of luck. Be carfull because you never know what that realtor will do with that report-especially if the deals falls through for that particluar client.

My contract has that provision as well, but as it has been said before, a lot of offer agreements that the buyer signs requires them to turn over a copy.

I may just take that out of my contract altogether since I give the buyer 2 report copies to do with what they will. If I make the report available online I will give them the password to retrieve it and they can give that to the agent (or seller) if they must. I will likely put a "copy" watermark on the second hard copy along with a disclamer about it's use.