Exposed wiring in garage

Can wiring in garage be exposed? i.e. Romex type wire stapled to studs and then traveling to light switch without benefit of conduit.

1 Like

I personally note in my reports exposed romex wiring in garage that is 7 ’ or less and recommend that all electrical wiring is run inside of a conduit or behind wall to shield the wiring from accidental impact.

If it was done the same way as in the interior of house, through holes drilled in the studs, on top of the trusses or joists, stapled properly secured every 6 feet and within 12 inches of fixtures, etc. etc., ready for drywall, I would not call it out.
Running on top of the studs, or below the trusses, not properly secured or protected, I would write up as improperly secured and protected wiring.

Protection would only be required if it were deemed “subject to physical damage”. That term is not defined in the NEC.

Also it would matter if the garage was attached or detached. Different rules apply.

1 Like

I agree with Erik, it should be wired the same as any residential job.

Thanks for all of your replys.

Jim Port’s answer seems the most approiate; it matters if the garage is attached to the house, otherwise, it’s an ‘out bldg’.

I understand home inspections aren’t ‘code inspections’ but it sounds like the code really doesn’t dictate on the matter of exposed Romex type wiring in garage as long as it’s secured properly with junction boxes etc.

Mike

FYI-2011 NEC

334.10 Uses Permitted. Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
(1) One- and two-family dwellings and their attached or detached garages, and their storage buildings.

Note: attached or detached makes no difference. Keeping the physical damage issue as something that is subjective.

Like this one? (subject to physical damage)

yea that could be a problem lol