Exterior AFCI

Again, I see it everyday. New Construction 2900’ on crawl.

Separate breaker and 20 amp circuit, but not AFCI protected.

What matters is what the AHJ’s will enforce. I write 'em up, they shoot 'em down…:roll:

(breaker 15 - 5 or so from the bottom left - should be an AFCI, but ain’t)

-Mike

I wanna live in an area where they always do things right… :mrgreen:

07 Nov 07 046.jpg

07 Nov 07 047.jpg

I would also add that if the hydronic wall heaters have 120 volt fans these need to be on the AFCI as well.

Mike,

There are areas that have exempted the AFCI requirements for smoke detectors. Some areas are even waiving the AFCI requirement for the bedroom outlets. Check with your local area to see what they are enforcing.

I know what they’re enforcing here… that they don’t have to be AFCI protected, hence the overkill in a prior post.

I think it’s a good idea, electrically sound and required by the NEC…

it’s just not enforced here, that’s my point. :neutral:

Currently what you see is (2) designs…

You have an AFCI/GFI which has the AFCI protection but the GFI is only at the 30mA thereshold…find if you are looking for equipment protection in regards to ground fault interupters…

Now they do make a combination ( and you have not seen anything yet…) that is an AFCI/GFCI combination with the 5mA nominal (4-6mA span ) as well and the unit will indicate this.

This technology is evolving as we speak, I know for a fact Eaton has 15 people ( engineers ) dedicated just to the development and advancement of the AFCI and it’s technology…it will evolve even more over time as well but starting Jan 1, 2008 we are seeing a roll out of the BEST in AFCI technology to date…

Now in the regards to someone asking about AFCI…EVERYTHING potentially can be AFCI protected…I happen to think what you have seen in 1999, 2002, 2005 and now 2008 will expand to it’s original proposal of all 125V 15 & 20 A outlets in a dwelling to be AFCI protected…in 2011…

I explain why they started in the bedroom and it seems logical to some but factually quite simple, while you are less likely to be aware of your surrounds in the bedroom…which is true and is part of the story is not actually why it started in the bedroom…it started there because it was a starting point and a learning curve…as the feedback came in it expanded and probably as the feedback comes in on the 2008 NEC’s revisions it may expand even more…who knows…but it is a learning curve…and I know some dont like using PEOPLE to develop the learning curve…BUT what are we really…just oversized test rats anyway…right…

So…can AFCI be on any circuit…SURE…( within technical reason ) and does having an AFCI ahead of a GFCI receptacle give both advantages…sure…could you put AFCI protection on the kitchen counter as well as the required GFCI…yep…nothing provents it…

Personally my only problem with the 2008 NEC version of the revision is the intent…so rather than say the whole house ( 125V 15 & 20 A circuits ) we LIST the locations AFCI is required…YET we give relief from kitchens, bathrooms and the like…so since we NEVER claimed GFCI’s could prevent arcs…are they saying ARCS dont happen in Kitchens and baths?

Now…I guess what I am saying is…it seems LOGICAL if you are going to make an electrician put AFCI in 90% of the house because you think it makes it safer…why leave out 10% of additional areas…so what does it tell ME…

again we are TESTING the market before they make the BROAD statement as in the original proposal of AFCI on all 125V 15 & 20A receptacles in the future…only time will tell…

Sorry…for being long winded…just adding conversation.