Exterior panel tapped at meter socket

There is an electrical panel that is apparantly tapped off the meter base (conduit off side of meter base, panel is below), due to the feed wires not being in the main panel. Can you do this or was it double tapped at the lugs in the meter base and needs correction? The panel was for the exterior pool equipment, no main & six breakers. Hope you can zoom in to the meter base, only pic I had.

Thanks.

Josh

Can’t see enough in your pic. However, it can be possible for meter sockets to have a 2 feeds out to two services. The services would need to be grouped in the same area. Does your situation fit this?

Yes Jim, this was the situation. Thanks for the reply!

So there are two panels? Are they next to each other, (they’re required to be grouped together). Since the one panel has six breakers the second panel would put you over the maximum allowable number of six service disconnects. It’s likely that the meter enclosure in the photo is not rated for more than one conductor per lug so I’m unsure how they could be feeding two separate panels.

Also from the photo it appear that the utility drop is not of the proper clearance over the pool. According to 2008 NEC Table 680.8 overhead conductors would require a minimum elevation of 22.5 feet above the highest water level of the pool.

Recommend evaluation by ESI (Electrical Safety Inspector). Josh in Ohio electricians can not do electrical inspections! Period.

Why? Because the license is to perform commercial work only. Ohio does not license residential work.
This is not new it has been the law since 1970.

You are misinformed.

You are so screwed up !

1 Like

Well when you don’t have facts you insult!

Lawriter - ORC - 3783.06 Certificate required.

codes.ohio.gov/orc/3783.06

3783.06 Certificate required. No person shall engage in the practice of electrical inspection in this state unless he is the holder of a certificate of competency as an electrical safety inspector issued under Chapter 3783. of the Revised Code.

You probably think that the people over at IAEI are idiots also.

IAEI

That’s only Square D.
And they also make breakers that only allow for one conductor.
You idiot yankees up in Ohio can do what you want.
Let me ask you a few questions…
Do you check outlets for proper polarity and grounding with your plugin tester?
If you see wiring with exposed ends do you call that out?
Do you check lights to see if they are operational?

@mparks2 Let me ask you again…

Roy you need to have a drink and read to whom I was speaking. A fellow Ohio home inspector.

Your attacks on me are comical.

Thank you !
However, I want to know if you inspect the following .

This should answer your question.

@gwells @cevans @Jim_Port @rmeier2
Well! You need to read it…

"However, if a person holds them self out as a home inspector and offers to perform an inspection of the home and its systems but indicates that they will issue a report indicating the state of function, operation or relative hazards, but not refer to code compliance, they would not be in violation of this law. "

You can open a panel as long as you don’t refer to code…
And a multi tap or lug is a hazard.

2 Likes

Roy, I think Michael Parks is a troll. There’s much he doesn’t understand.

Michael, You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Go back and read what you posted. Have someone interpret it for you. Think about it for a while. Then, come back and admit you don’t know what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Me to ! Or just plain ol’ stupid…:grinning:

2 Likes

(C ) “Home inspection” means the process by which a home inspector conducts a visual examination of the readily accessible components of a residential building for a client.

(G) “Readily accessible” means available for visual inspection without requiring a person to move or dismantle personal property, take destructive measures, or take any other action that will involve risk to a person or to the property.

George if you are not using the code just what the **** are you looking at when you remove a panel cover? If you say that it is ‘ok’ then you just said that it is code compliant!

And according to the NEC, which you like to quote, the inside of a panel is not readily accessible.

Ohio has tougher standards.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4764.01v1

George - what is your license #.I mean OCILB #? Better change your website cause you aren’t listed!

EDIT: and the # is not displayed as required by law. Maybe I should contact the OCILB?

What kind of idiot are you? You respond to a SPAM post on a 9 year old thread and come out spouting a bunch of OHIO specific B.S., that I’m not convinced you even begin to understand, as if this was a contemporary question specific to Ohio?

It’s close to time to vote you off the island as a non-member spreading ill-informed, mis-information.

This isn’t the Ohio forum. Nobody who isn’t practicing in Ohio gives a shiit what Ohio Regs are. The world does not revolve around Ohio.

2 Likes