Exterior stairwell support post bearing

Curious what you all would think about this. Metal exterior staircase at this one-off custom new construction home. Two support posts overhanging the slab below.

The call has already been made and the report sent out, but I was curious about how significant you all think this is?

Well… technically it should be called out for correction, based on the rear corner post more so than the side post, even though I don’t think there will be an issue any time soon. It primarily is only holding it’s own weight, and the occasional moving weight of people traversing the staircase. More concern would be when multiple people stop for a spell on the landing to gawk at the view!

2022-02-17_102934

5 Likes

It needs properly sized angle iron bolted to the sides to remove the doubt.

4 Likes

It was a nice view overlooking Lake Austin (just a fat section of the Colorado river, if you ask me).

2 Likes

It’s f:cked up, so adding an angle iron will just make it more prominent that the layout was screw up.
Release the two post under the landing add a post plate and move the post so they don’t look screwed up. Piece of cake.
But seriously, do you think anyone will take that step? Doubt it.
So, the report will read the post are overhanging the concrete base.

4 Likes

what Marcel said…

2 Likes

“Any job big or small, do it right or not at all”

3 Likes

Very true Peter, but in most cases, problems arise when there is a lack of coordination between the trades and a supervisor that makes sure it happens.

1 Like

Ain’t nobody even gonna notice!

2 Likes

My wife would along with every other person that is fussy like her.

How exactly do you insert those fingers? Wingdings?

Gotta ‘lube’ em first!!

Seriously though… PhotoScape : Free Photo Editing Software (Photo Editor) Download

4 Likes

Photoscape, one of the best photo editing software’s out there. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s another shot, below, to show more context. The stairwell in question is just off frame to the left. For future reference - Are custom metal exterior stairways and balconies like this typically designed by engineers? Would it have been prudent for me to say, other than pointing out incomplete bearing, something along the lines of:

Inspector recommends buyer confirm stairwell was constructed according to engineered shop drawings (of course it’s not, here). If unable to confirm, contact structural engineer for further review and amelioration.

Really? Is your client a college professor? Hell, I bet the SE doesn’t know what the hell that means!!

2 Likes

Hahah. I think it’s a good word in from our perspective. Allows you to say “fix it” in a technical way without prescribing any actions. but I guess “correct” or “address” has the same effect.

Maybe you’re right. The use of vocabulary involved with inspection is one of the reasons I like it. You can be extremely knowledgeable about these things but you also really need to be able to communicate them. I’ll consider your opinion

1 Like

Just remember… you are producing a Report for your Client. Not you, not other inspectors, not realtors, not even a Judge (you hope)!
There’s an old rule of thumb… Know your Client, keep it simple, and write so a 5th grader can understand it.

6 Likes

Michael, let them look it up! keep them on their toes :slight_smile: Just don’t flood the entire report with such terminology – they will start to hate you after about 8th word.

2 Likes

Just include a Webster’s dictionary at the end of your report. :grin:

5 Likes

And another old saying is… “Man, that inspector sure is full of himself”!!

:wink:

3 Likes