Falling Off A Roof

“Sir, you inspected my home for me when I purchased it two years ago. I remember you walking on the roof. Now, it leaks in several places. Please come by and repair the roof at no charge at your convenience, or replace the roof fully at your cost”.

I have heard from several inspectors who get similar calls such as this. Why HI’s take the chance by walking on roofs is showing their egotistical side.

You can find out over 90% of the roof’s condition by looking at a handful of shingles at the edge of the gutter. The rest by high-powered binoculars. After 14 years and thousands of inspections, I have never missed. Just sayin.

Gary this inspect this morning had shingles six years old, the home had some large trees around it blocking some sun, but up high where the sun was shining we had blister lots of blister that you never would of seen from the drip line. How do you see the chimney caps with your binoculars do they have angle lenses or do you just skip the caps;-)

We’ve had these ladder discussions on and off for a while.

Fact is this, home inspectors fall off ladders.

A long time, experienced inspector here fell off a ladder about 2 weeks ago.
He was badly injured and hospitalized, he’ll be out of it for months.
I don’t know all the details.

I know of one other that fell off a couple years ago.
He was able to go back to work.

It can happen.

And there have been some paralyzed for life, and others that have died from their injuries!

It DOES happen!!

I see bad advice on both sides.

Tommie Tommie;-)

Do what I and others have done. Get a drone and get good pictures and videos minus the risks.

Bert

Charley, Charles.

These were experienced operators with thousands of inspections each.
Not chubbies from you know where! :wink:

Sheit happens to the best of us.
And in the blink of an eye.

Here is one for you, wishing you the best of health.

Why do guys always give the overpriced advice.
Get a washer pole. it’s legal ]

Did the roof which was too tall for a standard 28 foot and had the porch hatch locked.
Charlie would have used a grappling hook however.

[quote=“twitt, post:28, topic:88399”]

Charley, Charles.

These were experienced operators with thousands of inspections each.
Not chubbies from you know where! :wink:

Sheit happens to the best of us.
And in the blink of an eye.

Here is one for you, wishing you the best of health.

[/QUOTE]

Tommie Tommie there was a guy killed the other day in a car wreck going to the grocery store guess we all should start walking and leave our autos at home.

There was a guy hunting deer last season shot and killed him self guess we should all throw our guns away.

Two plane wrecks lately guess we should all stop flying, shall I contuine

Life is life and I call it cleansing the gene pool.

Bob you have a better chance in Chicago of being shot than falling from a roof 1200 murders in Chicago in the first 1/2 of the year. Labled the most dangerous city in the US:shock:

I no longer climb on roofs higher than my 21 foot ladder can reach. That is 18’ feet to the deck or parapet by the way with 3 feet of the ladder on the roof.

I wish I could say I did not do some very hazardous maneuvers when younger but I made it this far and will certainly not be doing aerial acrobatics at what I get paid.

Great post Dan.

Not man enough to visit Charlie…You wimp.

You have no idea other than your daily propaganda what goes on here as that stuff is all gangbangers isolated on the south side where police let them go at it to thin the herd.

Sad is they hit women and children in the process.

I climb most roofs but I also have limits to what I will climb. After 28 years in the construction trade I have personally seen peoples lives changed due to a fall. One of the best framer’s I have ever known fell when he was cutting a vent hole. He is now paralized from the hips down. He was always very carefull and made himself and everyone on his crew tie off on the roof. The roofer was mad because the didnt cut the vent holes so up he went. Expierance and being carefull does not help you. That is why they call it an accident. I hope to never hear that one of you “supermen” got hurt, but thier may be an “I told you so” in the remarks.

Exactly.