Fasteners making dents in standing seam metal roof

I notice a few fasteners making dents in a standing seam metal roof. It is a new construction home. I don’t have a ton of experience with metal roofs but don’t ever recall seeing anything like this before. Is this an issue that I should note?

I don’t see fasteners, I see dents or creases.

Did you see punctures?

1 Like

Under driven screws, It will compromise the finish over time.

2 Likes

I guess my assumption is that fasteners from underneath are making the dents.

1 Like

That is what I was thinking but wasn’t positive. I can’t imagine that is an easy repair. Thanks!

I see oil canning or a bowed area,with 2 impact scars inside. Can’t see how under driven fasteners would cause that.

2 Likes

Did you push on the dents to see if they pushed down? It also could be sheathing nails or they dropped fasteners on the roof decking and laid the roofing panles on top of the dropped fasteners. It sure looks like something is pushing up.

To me, those look like dents. See the shadowing above them?

And, Scott’s right. It will compromise the finish over time.

1 Like

Yep… …

1 Like

Someone walked the roof wearing high heel shoes…

1 Like

Yes, I pushed down on it and it did seem to cause the metal to indent even more. So there is definitely something under it. I assumed it was a seam clip but I thought the fasteners were only on one side of the raised crimp.

Yes, they are. Definitely something under it.

It looks like something dented it either before or after it was installed (fiddler on the roof maybe). If there was a patern to it (other panels) I would say manufacturing defect or damaged in transport. I’m guessing this is the method of fastening this roof. most metal roofs here use the screws with rubber washers on the surface. So this method is new to me, but sure looks clean and less likely to leak.

I do a ton of standing seam metal roofs here in Vermont it’s very popular there are clips that are stapled down that are bent over on one side of the seam and then the seam is crimped together either by hand or with a power crimper which is called double locking what that is is probably their ladder or some knucklehead made two dents in the roof it’s definitely not from nails underneath or clips I would definitely write this up as a cosmetic defect and should be warrantied from the company that did the install

2 Likes

Please be careful on wet metal roofs Stephen! A little more misting and it would turn into a water slide.

In the SW those dents would eventually have the finish potentially abrade/flake off and then start corroding. The process could take decades, but it is a more forgiving climate.

Downspout terminates onto lower roof level.

1 Like

Possibly plywood joint with under driven nails. This damage will lead to the finish flaking than the inevitable rust will set in . The down spout is diverted right into a seam which in my climate would create moisture freezing and possibly over time expand the seamed joint to implode and possibly leak . Just my two cents

1 Like

Thanks, I was looking at it from a window. I def don’t get on a wet metal roof!! Downspouts on 99% of new construction around here discharge onto a lower roof. I know it is not a good building practice but everyone does it here. But then again, they build crap around here too!

Stephen, it is good to report, like you do, even though “everyone does it like that” around here is the norm. Good inspecting!

1 Like