Metal roofing

I got a call yesterday from a gentleman building a home in Celebration. It’s about 3500+ sq ft, and 3 stories, with a standing seam metal roof. He has issues with the roof and the roofer.
I told him I’m not too familiar with metal roofs, but he was more interested in the idea of an impartial inspector as the roofer denied problems when confronted.
There are points where the seams for the metal roof are not tightly joined, and also, where the metal meets the siding, they left 2"+ gap, covered by flashing, not butted up to the siding.
Also, around a curved tower, the roof step flashing is fastened on top of the metal roofing - is this OK with metal roofing?
Any help would be appreciated, and I have many other pics. Thanks.

The cap on top of the turret would be hard to install any other way. Same with the ridge cap, that looks typical. I am not an expert either, and if wind-driven rain is a concern in Florida :p, there may indeed be issues here. But in my opinion, it looks like typical work. Sorry this does not help much.

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Hi Andy,

that appears to be at best a very sloppy install, I would look to the manufacturers installation instructions, and be looking for the manufacturers technical rep for an opinion.

That step flashing looks totally wrong from here.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I agree that it is a sloppy install. I told the client he should have the roofer return with a mfr rep to go over it, but he wants me to document what I’ve found. I’m thinking I may wind up testifying at some point…:roll:

Thanks John - the cap on one of the turrets is actually crooked, leans about 2-3 degrees to one side.
I’m sure this material is not the easiest to work with. However, the seams are crooked and it just looks really sloppy and amateur in many places. For this $2M house, as I told my client, the roof should do:

1. Provide shelter and protection, and
  2. Look good while doing it.
    Also, the house is close to finish inside, and they’ve already had leaks from the area of that turret. The contractor says it’s fixed, but who knows…

I was hoping to get someone with metal expertise to comment on the step flashing. Thanks for the input.

Yes I see your point :stuck_out_tongue: and agree. It looks like the TinMan’s hat from that angle. You may be waiting till tomorrow AM for input, as it is Friday night and getting late out East. Do you have pics of the roof/wall junction?

[quote=“jkogel, post:6, topic:33863”]

Yes I see your point :stuck_out_tongue: and agree. It looks like the TinMan’s hat from that angle. quote]

After the Tinman had one to many.:p:p

This looks like it was either a rush job or installed by newbie workers. Good thing it wasn’t copper imagine the expense on replacing that.

The turret was the only standing seam area I saw. And it wasn’t a true standing seam either. The roof is a joke. The house has 5v barn metal. Good for a few years until the leaks become terrible. Step flashing on top of the panels??? I have made detailed reports many a time and the roofer??? loses.

The cap? When using ‘standing seam’, you use a 8" cleat that’s attached to the deck and reappears from the finished seam, folded over the finished seam and pop=riveted in place.

Here’s a standing seam roof I did last month.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20Roofing%20photo_gallery.htm

I have many detailed pics. You would have to e-mail for specific ones I might have.
Frank at albertsroofing dot com

Thanks Frank.

Frank’s been a big help with this - I just realized something I hadn’t seen before. I guess I was fixed on the incredible roofing job - the roof has virtually no vents. It has soffits all the way around, but no vents in the roof - no ridge vent, not many vents at all.
I hope I don’t have to come back this summer to crawl into the attic…!:shock:

An example of what happens when an unsuitable material is used where it shouldn’t be. I wonder what a custom-fabricated true standing seam metal roof would have cost by compatison. The problem here is they used, as someone said, roofing suitable for a barn at best, and tried, unsuccessfully, to adapt it to conditions that would have been beautifully done by a custom metal roofer.

Such a roofer would measure the odd areas every day, and shop-fabricate the pieces to fit exactly.

And **all **those exposed fasteners…yuck.

Good Point
I’ve finished my report for the client. It begins, “The metal roof on the primary roof structure of this house is installed using techniques and materials which are not entirely suitable for this application. At best, this will likely continue to be a very high-maintenance roof…”

I told my wife tonight that I’m sure I have not seen the end of this roof. I feel likely I will wind up testifying at some point!

Kind of in the category of “Why is there never money (or time) to do it right, but always money (or time) to do it over again?”

And if things are improperly installed the insurance company’s try to get out of paying, and the home owners are stuck.

http://www.constructionmagnet.com/metalroofing/ this might help good articles,

Thanks Dennis - some great info. I just got an update from my client. For some reason, he elected not to tell me this before -

I added some pictures from a mock-up I did today. This was in reference to my reply earlier in the thread.
“The cap? When using ‘standing seam’, you use a 8” cleat that’s attached to the deck and reappears from the finished seam, folded over the finished seam and pop-riveted in place."
The pictures are at the bottom of the page.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20Roofing%20photo_gallery.htm