Federal Pacific Electrical Panel in 1979 condo

Morning All

I am the first time find out this big guy in a 1979 condo. The InterNACHI class mention this guy many time. I think I should just report it to call professional license electrical contractor to make an inspection?

Yes…I would.


CYA Report it as a defect: “Obsolete panel, no longer serviceable” Report the fact that FPE cheated on breaker testing and that many FPE breakers do not work when needed, leaving critical circuits that can be overloaded and cause fires.

Add a reference:


Being that you are in Florida, insurance will likely require replacement on federal pacific and zynsco/sylvania.
There are a few that may still insure, but not many.

Just report that they are known for having issues, and could be fire hazards, and that replacement may be necessary.


Please click the following link to go to:
for further information
Due to FPE’s fraudulent testing and falsified UL labeling, defective FPE Stab-Lok circuit
breakers were installed in millions of residences throughout the United States. Recent tests on
more than 500 Stab-Lok breakers from homes across the country show defective performance
for about 1/3 of the two-pole FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers and about 1/5 of the single-pole
FPE Stab-Lok circuit breakers.
Because of the proven high defect rate, the FPE Stab-Lok breakers that are presently
installed in homes do not provide the circuit protection that is required by applicable codes
and standards (NEC and UL).
This constitutes an increased risk of fire and injury.
Homeowners and renovators who encounter these panels should consider replacing them with
new equipment. Panel replacement, can involve significant expense, depending on service size
and other factors.
But identifying one of these defects can lead to an argument in some cases.
For example, a knowledgeable inspector or contractor observes one of these panels and
recommends replacement. An owner or another inspector, unaware of the background,
refuses to cooperate, and insists there is “no problem.” Who’s right?
There is indeed “a problem.” FPE panels and circuit breakers are a “safety-related defect.”
In some conditions the equipment may not provide the safety protection (against fire) that
was intended.
*** Safety Warning***
I have observed a Federal Pacific Electric “Stab-Lok” service panel in the house.
This panel is a latent fire hazard: it’s circuit breakers may fail to trip in response to an
over current or a short circuit. Failure of a circuit breaker to trip can result in a fire,
property damage, or personal injury. A circuit breaker that may not trip does not afford
the protection that is intended and required.
Simply replacing the circuit breakers is not a reliable repair. The panel should be replaced,
and significant expense may be involved.


I report them as a potential fire and shock hazard with documented failures and recommend replacement.


If I see this brand panel in the 4 points inspection, are we also will report it is a Hazards present, right?

Thank for sharing. Never seen on in my neckof the woods.

The 4 point asks what brand is the panel.
Just enter FPE Stab-Lok. The rest is totally up to the insurance carrier.


On just a 4-Point Insurance inspection, just document what you found about the electrical panel (i.e. main or subpanel, total amps, panel age, and brand/model)
No need to add additional info about FPE. The insurance company will handle it from there.
On a regular detailed home inspection, that is where you would provide in your report additional information about the potentially hazard panel.

1 Like

Get it. Thanks a lot

Thank you for posting through explanation!

1 Like