Feedback on TPR discharge

But what about a “qualified” HI’s opinion? I guess we’re still waiting… :wink:

2 Likes

I agree Brian. I didn’t know what that was about.

3 Likes

Hang on a sec….let me get my popcorn popped so I can sit and watch all the clowns come out of the big tent!

You nailed it Brian he’s a shit stirrer. I’m out. Best of luck to this one.

2 Likes

And you are the elephant. Put on a big show and shit on the way out. You might want to have your ducks in a row before you disparage a master plumber or other inspectors who know a thing or two; TPRV vent man.

2 Likes

The Nachi membership dues are worth every penny just for the laughs from this forum! Isn’t it great?

So explain to us why any of our replies or wrong or contrary to what you think. Debate is what we’re here to do.

3 Likes

Like I said…a circus elephant.

3 Likes

Isn’t the red-arrow pointing at what is actually a vent to the discharge tube? The discharge tube has a shut-off valve (circled) at its termination which now forces the discharge into the vent which goes up through the roof.

No it is not. This was Brian’s illustration trying to explain your narrative.

And why not?

Originally, explain how a TPRV drain pipe is considered a “vented” pipe to the roof.

2 Likes

@mwilles
Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. There is no plumbing vent in the photo.
  2. The drain valve serves two purposes.
    (a) If you test the TPRV by popping it off, you can drain it.
    (b) If the TPRV fails, the plumber can drain the discharge piping before removing the TPRV.
2 Likes

Brain yes and yes.

2 Likes

All fine and good except for the circled pvc shutoff valve which is closed. How can anyone tell if the TPR valve is faulty if you can’t see water being discharged or if the discharge is trying to climb 30’ of pvc and how does anyone know how much water is standing in that 30’. When the valve pops can it push any standing water out or does that pvc valve explode or some portion of the 30’ of pvc or the water heater itself? Are you telling me you have no issues with this configuration?

Some area code inspectors do have a problem with it. Some do not. Have you looked it up the code in your state or contacted your local code inspector? There are definitely potential problems with this configuration but gravity feed is not always enforced in situations such as basement water heaters.

2 Likes

Well of course…

Jeff, keep in mind we’re all here to help out, and as harsh as it may be, don’t take it personally. Keep asking your questions. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks….all good here

Oh goody he’s a home boy so explain the South Carolina TPRV discharge piping to me please. By the way you listed boiler valve discharge piping not water heater discharge piping requirements……amateur!

1 Like