FHA Inspections

Bruce -

In my area I frequently get calls from lenders on Wednesday at 2:30 PM wanting a final inspection on a house I’ve never seen 45 miles away with the closing set for noon on Thursday.

When I inquire about plans they act like they don’t know what I’m talking about.

:smiley: Wednesday at 2:30. I’ll have to remember to set my phone alarm.

Well for my first foray into this, I got the lender to email me the plans. That inspection is next week. My second call: I told the lender to meet me on site with the plans; he said OK.

I see you do a lot of these. So am I on the right track? What specifically do they want me to look for – completion right? Not compliance?

Everyone has mentioned how difficult the HUD site is. It really is tough.

Thanks
Bruce

Bruce -

In my area, thats the lender, builder or realtors way of making sure YOU DON’t see the plans - give the guy 12 hours notice of an inspection.

If you insist on plans, you don’t do the job. They seem to always find guys doing the final without plans or ever having seen the house before.

HUD 92051 Compliance Inspections don’t require plan checks… Cursory completion, make sure the finish grade slopes away from the structure, etc…

Check item #9 or the appropriate box and detail for any items not completed. I always call the development to make sure the property is ready for inspection prior to traveling to the site. Most of these are performed on “New” construction and only when FHA loans with Mortgage Insurance is involved.

Good Luck and keep it simple…

Has anyone done any single item inspections. I got a call today about doing a single item inspection on an item a FHA inspector wrote up.
What type of report is required? Any information would be helpful.

The orderng party should tell you what the inspection protocol is. Have them check with underwriting and or the area HUD field office. No your job to determine what they’re looking for…

I had a bank call me to do an inspection on just one wall of a home they were trying to underwrite. Apparently when the sod was laid, the sprinkler system was turned on and shot directly at the house around the were the service entry is through the wall. There was no caulking around it yet and quite a bit of water got into the space and subsequently on to the basement floor. When the appraiser was there he noticed the water on the floor and immediately wrote it up as a drainage issue around the house.

The bank needed an inspection of that wall after the caulking was finished to be able to close on the home. I told them I would charge them $100 for the inspection. They didn’t bat an eye at that. I hope for future business from them in this area because that type of inspection doesn’t take very long and in the grand scheme of things, $100 isn’t much to a bank.

I got a request to do a finale on a new mobile home today. (HUD)
are there any certain forms I need? or do you just do a normal report.

They probably want a foundation final. If they do it needs an SE’s stamp and signature…

Again, always ask the ordering party to specifically state the required FHA or HUD inspection protocol…

So if I am reading this correct, any individual qualified can perform FHA/HUD so long that is not 203k inspections? I was always under the assumption that you could not do any FHA/HUD work unless you were a 203k inspector…someone set me straight im confused.

Randy,

At this time the only requirements for FHA/HUD inspections are 203K Loan (Rehab loan) inspections, HUD 92051 Compliance Inspections, and manufactured (mobile) home permanent foundation inspections. The first two require HUD certs/registration. The permanent foundation require a certification from a licensed Engineer.

Whenever I receive a call I try to illicit a response as to what type of loan they are attempting to obtain. If it is any HUD backed loan I then ask questions to make sure it is not new home construction, purchase loan with rehab costs included (203K) or a manufactured (mobile) home. If it is not any of those three then the only requirements are licenes for those states that require it. Many buyers, mortgage people (yes, mortgage people) and RE Agent do not fully understand the inspection requirements for the different loan types. As a result if you don’t ask and just show for an inspection you, or more likely the buyer, will receive an expensive surprise.

I think it may have been explained above, but to do a mobile home foundation, you must be an engineer.

Bruce

I use Hayman for the engineer cert. I just take the photos, but this office is asking for something more than the foundation.

I sub any HUD/FHA bank request for Pemanent Foundations for Manufactured Homes inspections to an Engineer that has been doing work for me several years. He does a good job for me and the banks are happy…Most being the Reverse Mortgage industry. Any other inspection except the 203k can be done by a home inspector according to HUD publication 88-25. I have posted this info several times on this message board including the actual letter. Hope this helps.