Filter dryer required?

Doing an inspection on a property this week. Client explained to me that he is an HVAC tech and noticed that there was no filter dryer on the liquid line on the exterior unit.

I don’t think I would have mentioned anything about this, but what do you do since the client has? Is it required?

Yes, it needs one. Just note that there was no visible filter drier (proper spelling) and recommend evaluation by a HVAC contractor.

4 Likes

So the client is a HVAC Tech. Does the client further evaluate? Curious in this type of scenario when clients are in a specific trade. Or should we just state " It was observed that the filter drier was not present on the exterior unit, further evaluation and necessary corrections are recommended if needed " ??

1 Like

I have no way of qualifying my clients credentials so I act as if they do not exist. Even if I did qualify his credentials, I would not presume he was going to do the work.

So basically, nothing changes in my report.

5 Likes

A filter is normally NOT required. It is installed during repair of older linesets/coils.

5 Likes

Some come factory installed, some are not there at all. In my opinion, the units begin to age the moment you turn it on.

So, in my careful wording, I recommend evaluation.

Understand that and it makes sense. I did an inspection for a client that couldn’t be there for the inspection. I started explaining the issues in the report and he told me he understood every thing I was talking about. Turned out he was a retired builder and licensed in most all aspects of building. He appreciated my report…but we shared some laughs on it too.

2 Likes

There is nothing to evaluate, you’re making things up. Unless you pull it up in the manual as required and it is missing, it is just in your head :slight_smile:

Did you just make that up in your head? ^^^

Come on.

2 Likes

That I did not. I will wait for a HVAC tech to explain it to you, not going to argue. Seen enough wrong info posted already.

2 Likes

I recently did a 1970 2 story on a basement with a huge old deck. My client was present and was a structural engineer. He understood everything during the walk-thru, it was actually refreshing because he understood and things went quickly.

3 Likes

Until then, we are on equal footing. What you will find is that there are varying opinions on the issue. And if I am wrong, I have no problem with that.

So you didn’t recommend an SE for further evaluation? :wink: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I would have, but it wasn’t needed. But we had fun with the multi-tier deck which was a mess.

1 Like

I guess that is what I was I alluding to in my earlier post. At what point is it not needed? :thinking:

1 Like

Just for support of my earlier filter needed comment. Here is an excerpt from a 2020 Goodman install instruction manual.

2 Likes

I want it to stand up in court no matter what. I never recommend DIY, ever.

So in court, my comment will read I recommended an action by a qualified person. That transfers the liability onto the client to determine the best person for the job.

2 Likes

Of course! And if the client may be qualified then a “qualified contractor” may be sufficient. You don’t have to specify them and in the same wording, you don’t want to demean them also.

Yes, I think I missed your nuance. I agree with you. A qualified contractor always works and may be a subtle way not to step on someone’s toe.

But I do not worry about toes so much. :sunglasses:

Here is another from a carrier heat-pump.

2 Likes