Find Inspector has major flaw

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Jeff,

you emailied me these comments before and you are still right. I have to author instructions/tips for sending in zips. Your spread out thing is true, I need to explain it. Being everywhere is being nowhere in marketing, I need to explain that. Being in only one zip is being nowhere, I need to explain that. Being in more than one zip with the same town name will not make the town appear over and over, I need to explain that. The ability to enter areas you seek to work in, not sleep in needs to be explained too.

David,

we can change it to search under any rules we give it. We need to decide what we want it to do.

Where someone sleeps at night means nothing to the consumer and is worse for the inspector. If Gerry is willing and desires to work only in the South West corner of Toledo, Ohio, why do we care where he lives? Lets match him to homebuyers looking in for homes in the South West corner of Toledo, Ohio.

No?

Nick

PS Mass has 25 required ride alongs? True?

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Perhaps some of you are confusing the TWO different locators.

The one on the NACHI home page.

The one at www.findaninspector.us.

I don't know why, but they both function different.

For example, try to search the zip code 40324.

On www.findaninspector.us I get one listing that shows all the cities I serve.

On the NACHI home page search for 40324, Each city is listed separately and I have seven separate listings.

Perhaps it's time we consolidated to just one list instead of having it show up two different ways depending on where the search originated from, either the NACHI home page or the www.findaninspector.us.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Erby, you are right. They display the raw data differently. Both searches use the same NACHI database. We have to decide on how we want them to search and display.

I'm not sure we should do anything alphabetically though.

Nick Aaaaaaagromicko

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Where someone sleeps at night means nothing to the consumer and is worse for the inspector. If Gerry is willing and desires to work only on the South West corner of Toledo, Ohio, why do we care where he lives?

I agree. I live in a small town and consistently drive 30 or 40 miles to more populated areas. Gotta go where the $$ are! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine

Worse yet for you Blaine if we went alphabetical.

You'd have to open a P.O. Box in the big city and change your last name to Aaawiley.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Nick

Igor,

You're not "limited to 20 zips", your 20 times expanded. The search currently offers 20, 50, and 100 mile searches. We can do a search using only the NACHI member's mailing address instead. It would be much easier than what we're doing now. It actually takes a lot more effort to do what we're doing now.

So the question Igor poses is... does all the advantages of having a system that matches areas NACHI members service WITH areas home buyers are seeking... outweigh or not outweigh... the advantages of searching using strictly on a distance from mailing address system?

Whatever you guys decide, we can do. In any case though, once we decide, Chris will reprogram, I'll write instructions, tips, a policy, and a few FAQ's.

Nick

When a consumer looks at Erby's 11 towns, they quickly understand his service area because they probably recognize several of them at once. If he had P.O. Box Anytown, KY, it wouldn't be as good. If he had 100 towns, it wouldn't be as good.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
PS. Mass has 25 required ride alongs? True?

Yes, Massachusetts does require 25 ride alongs and full-time employment under a Mass. licensed Home Inspector for a total of one year. This is the hardest part of becoming a Home Inspector here. Nobody wants to train their competition. So that is why I had no choice but to sign a legal contract with a local inspection company here. I am required (by contract agreement) to stay with them for a period of one year. That is where I stand, as we speak.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

We already have custom choice individually because each member can choose what zips we search from. Reminder, these zips are not the zips he is IN… they are the zips we search from on a strictly DISTANCE basis.

The goal was to allow each member to define (geographically) the service area he desires to work in. Some inspectors want large service areas (especially out west) and are willing to drive far. Some want smaller areas (especially in heavy populated urban areas). Some want a service area near their mailing address (like Igor). Some need a service area away from their mailing address (like Blaine).

Which brings me back to where I started. We are trying to give each member what he/she asks for. I agree with Igor, its a lot of Bull-$hit and maybe not worth it.

Suggestions PLEASE.

Nick

PS No, these are not protected service areas.

David, just out of curiosity. Is your non-compete clause geographic? In other words if you decide you want to offer your home inspection services in NH could you?

I think you know where I'm going with this. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Nick

Quote:
I think you know where I'm going with this.

I know exactly where you were trying to go with this. Any other state wouldn't be worth the drive. R.J. Inspections keeps me busy enough to avoid seeking work elsewhere anyways. I'm off now, because my first inspection cancelled today. Gotta go.

To get this back on topic... I would like the distance scale added, in some kind of format.

By the way..I'm looking forward to meeting with you in three weeks at the N.E. Chapter meeting. See you then.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jwalker

Distance from home or office? to the client.

James Walker

Our Service Is A Long Term Investment!

OneSource Real Estate Inspections
DFW, Texas
www.dfwhomeinspector.com

Everyone will have their own personal preference.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

gromicko wrote:

Now let me tell you why I let some members plug in more than 20. Some argued that they lived in an urban area that had numerous zips in one small area (like NY members), or several other reasonable reasons. I also wanted to test something. However, the problem I predicted actually occurred. You will notice in one of my previous posts on this thread, last edited before I posted this one, that I said "FindAnInspector gives what they each ask for...sometimes to their own detriment." Listing less than 20 zip codes (like you do) or more than 20 zip codes will harm you. Yes, I'll say it again because I am convinced: Listing less than 20 zip codes or more than 20 zip codes will cause less consumers to contact you. I wasn't sure of this at first. I only had a hunch. Now that I have data, I know it to be true. Inspectors like you that list one zip code appear to be small, part-time inspectors...and consumers can't find them. Inspectors that list 50 zip codes appear to be non-local big firms...consumers see all those other towns. CONSUMERS WANT THE LOCAL FULL-TIME INSPECTOR. They don't want the big firm who works in 50 towns...the don't want the part-time guy that looks like he's hiding. 20 or 25 zips is the right amount. I'll try to write clear instructions/tips and then enforce it for the good of all.

Thank you Igor.

Nick

PS I have very good data on this and even double tested it with a few dummy (fake) inspectors in varying numbers of listed zips. It will be 20 or 25. Probably 20. Let me analyze things tomorrow. I think 20 looks better too.

When I inquired about the disparity of the inspector search in relation to others in my area I was advised to submit 81 zips codes. I suspected that 20 strategically placed zips was the way to go but I was advised otherwise. I wasn't counciled as to the downside. I followed your advice because I do not know the complexities of the inspector search and I depended on you for guidance to level the playing field with other members in my area. I am glad you are moving towards rules with this. We should all play by the same rules and the playing field should be as level as we can make it. That was the original intent of my inquiry - fair play. My two cents is to give members priority listing in their home zip within a twenty mile radius based on length of membership or listings rotated equally.

I appreciate many things about this organization and I truly thank those that work so hard to make it happen. I do appreciate all of the work that goes into making this work. I do not appreciate being lead into an experiment to my detriment when I was seeking advisement.

I will say the findaninspector works better and is more fair than most other inspector searches in existance (even in it's current state). Let's fix the damn thing and move on.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jpope

As it stands, these search engines have worked very well for me. I have chosen zip codes in and near where I live AND work. I don’t always necessarily come out “on top” but I am always listed.

I live in 91321 but when you search this zip (depending on which search engine used) Hendrie Javier (House Mouse) comes out on top. I know now that this is because he's been a member longer but it's okay, I'm still getting plenty of work as a result of these searches.

I don't expect to get EVERY inspection from these searches (although it would be nice ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ), Hendrie and I live only five miles apart and in different zips. I guess if NACHI were my ONLY source for inspections I might feel differently.

In short, "it ain't broke, don't fix it." (MHO)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I’ve just changed findaninspector’s query method to the Great Circle Distance Formula. This formula uses a spherical trigonometry formula to calculate exact distance between points more precisely (rather than assuming 69.1 miles for each latitude degree and 53 miles for each longitude degree). It will allow for more accurate searches. You’ll also notice that it displays the distance from the search location, and limits the “also serving” block further. Though this does not solve the issue at hand, it will make the search results more accurate in areas with many NACHI members.

The multiple zip code solution is a response to countless requests for multiple listings. I personally think that the results should be based on where you serve, rather than where you happen to have an address.

Sorting a list like this is always a pain, because there's always someone at the bottom of the list, and someone at the top. I think that sorting by seniority is better than sorting alphabetically, personally. I'm working on implementing a system that will sort (descending) by number of messages that have been sent to any inspector via findaninspector.us. This will mean that an inspector who has received 20 messages via findaninspector.us will be below someone who has received 10. I'll let you know when this is done.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://yae9ceoSmF8RgttL49okCncqEaF.html)

Up until last month, I entered the zip codes in myself. Our entry screen did not permit me to see (all at once), all the zips any member had. Two weeks after Lia took this task over (she’s new), she entered a member in twice. In trying to delete one entry, she accidently deleted the entire zip code entry screen and then all the software along with it. Since Chris had to rebuild it all from scratch, he made some improvements including the ability to see all the zips a member lists at once. Prior to this I would only just keep adding any zips a member emailed me. If someone emails me several times totaling 81 zips, he is probably listed in all 81 zips, often double listed. However, if for example, all 81 zips are in Houston, TX… his service area would only appear once as Houston, TX. So its not a matter, exactly, of the number of different zips you list, but rather the number of different zips that are associated with different towns, that create your visible service area. Our system does not compare the number of different zips associated with different towns and give us a count. Nor does it have any idea what each member is trying to carve out as a geographic service area. What data we have, what data is searched on (zips), and what data is displayed (towns) are all different. I warned you it was complicated. Everywhere throughout NACHI.org including in business success tips, what’s new, this board, the emails you get concerning updates to your member info, etc… we use the number 20. I can see why more zips might be better for some and not as good for others. It is now my professional opinion that more than 20 visible service towns has a negative marketing effect, similar to or even worse than having an (800) number. This doesn’t necessarily mean that more than 20 zips is worse though…only likely.

Nick

That was a mouthful. Put simply, FindAnInspector.US is trying to PERFECTLY (and fairly) match NACHI members with homebuyers. This is much more difficult, requires much more data, and requires much more built-in intelligence than just displaying a list.

Nick

David:

Actually the point I was trying to make with your situation was that there exists another example (YOU) of a NACHI member who CONTRACTUALLY couldn't market in the area you live in. If you quit your job tomorrow, you are still bound by your non-compete agreement with your employer. So if you wanted to work outside the geographic confines of that contract, you would need to have NACHI promote your services away from the area you actually sleep at night.

I've listed 8 or 10 examples now.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I have edited out an unwarranted comment in a previous post. Nick, my apologies.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

You know I hate editing. You can call me anything you want, just don’t call me late for hot meal.

Nick