Another FindAnInspector.US upgrade

Originally Posted By: Webmaster
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve just installed a new latitude/longitude database for FindAnInspector.US. It’s more accurate than our old database, and will particularly provide much better results in cities with many zip codes (before they were all lumped together). Check it out and let me know what you guys think.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://cTEW9usD61v4yN8zGsS2IqRmUE0.html)

Originally Posted By: jremas

In My Opinion, it is still f’d up. Once again I typed in my zip code, 18411 WHERE I LIVE… There are now 4 of us who live in the 18411 zip code. When the results come up, I am dead last #8 of 8 listed, 4 who don’t even live here, they just serve this area.

HOW can people who don't live in my own town come up on top of those of us who do live in a town.

This is BS & the worst search I have ever run across.

Igor is right, you should type in a zip code and whoever is located within 20 miles should pop up, i don't care what area you serve. Start working closer to home if you want to be listed or move. Why should we have to look at a list of 20 inspectors in 3 pages of 60 listed when there are only 20.

Call me when it is fixed, i'm frustrated.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Where you go home to sleep at night is not considered by this search engine.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

preferences? Or it that too technologically difficult?

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Yes, it is completely individualized.

If you want to carve out your market near your home, simply email me the zips (up to 20) nearest your home (our system does not care where you go home to sleep at night).

Two zips from the same named city are displayed once as the city (consumers don't recognize zips, they recognize cities, so the search is technically performed using zips but then the cooresponding city/town names are then displayed).

Each zip can technically cover everything 20 miles around it so each zip covers hundreds of square miles. 20 zips covers thousands of square miles.

The member getting the most click thru action in any zip he/she shares with another member, will appear under that fellow member to promote parity (evening of lead distribution).

Nick

David Valley

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

So technically speaking, does this mean Jeff Remas is getting more click throughs than the ones above him on the list and that is what throws him to #8 on the list?

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Nick,

While we are on the subject of searching for Inspectors, when is Chris going to invert the "Featured Inspectors" (clickable link on our main page) to www.findaninspector.us?
The latter has a much better format compared to the existing. When prospects go into our website and click on "Featured Inspectors", they get the compiled list of continuously repeated names.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Erby, you are correct. If 8 members each have 12345 as one of their 20 zip codes, the 8 members will be displayed in order of fewest click thrus received.

David, I could do it now, I handle updating and changing all site content. However, generally the links in the left blue border are for inspectors. www.FindAnInspector.US is a site that is marketed to REALTORs and the public, so it is different than our Featured Inspectors. (In the same way many people's websites have different pages for different visitors, NACHI has entirely different sites geared for different markets).

Featured Inspectors for instance permits us to find the contact information of our fellow members by last name. Last name is typically not a criteria used by REALTORs or the public in seeking an inspector. The geographic area a member services is.

Nick

PS. There is a link at the top of the home page of NACHI.org which takes them to www.FindAnInspector.US

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Unfortunately for you Joe, I suspect you will remain at the bottom of your service area for a while, along with Jeff Remas. You being President of NACHI naturally attracts attention and people will often use the site to click-thru to you. Jeff Remas has a bunch of home inspection qualifications and a good website he promotes, so he will get more click-thrus (ooops sorry Jeff, just this post will probably give you more click-thru hits)

Its kind of like the NFL draft where the poorest finishing teams get the first round draft choices in an effort to achieve parity.

Nick

Also, members with websites get more attention and click thrus than members without websites… naturally. But I think Chris is announcing something new about that at http://www.nachi.org/newenglandchapter.htm on Thursday. It should be really big news. I’m driving up there so I’ll post a brief of his announcement this weekend.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

1. Jeff, the reason that you're at the bottom of the list is because your website has received the most clicks from FindAnInspector.US . Actually, Mark Dolph's just got one more click than your's, so now he's at the bottom. The list is sorted by 'exposure' -- give your fellow NACHI members a fair shot.
    Also, it sounds like you're still talking about nachi.org's find an inspector search (which no longer exists). No single inspector is listed more than once now.
  2. David, the search feature on the home page of NACHI has been pointing people to FindAnInspector.US for almost a week now. The location search on featured inspectors does the same. The actual lists on nachi.org aren't especially for people searching for inspectors. They're for our members and for anyone who'd like to verify someone's membership.
  3. Nick, no you can't. You have the ability to change the site's content, but not its structure or function. Do you think I'm crazy?

It'd take any computer hack about an hour to program your typical "find by location" search engine. Instead of this sloppy technique, FindAnInspector.US gives everyone a fair chance at getting leads for the areas that they serve. Your clients don't care where you live. They care where you work. Look back through the other threads. There have been many legitimate examples of where this is the case.

--
Chris Morrell

Chris:

Yes I think you're "crazy."

You were sane until you started working on www.FindAnInspector.US

Nick

PS I think David was asking why "Featured Inspectors" link in left blue border does not point directly to www.FindAnInspector.US ... at least that was the question I answered previously.

Chris:

I'm assuming that all this work on www.FindAnInspector.US provides the technical framework for the inspector search portion of upcoming RealMatcher. Yes?

Nick

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Yup. RealMatcher’s software will be based on the same system.

Chris Morrell

David Valley

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jremas

Chris / Nick, I do understand that you will never be able to satisfy all of the folks all of the time & being the Web /Guru Chris is succeptable to more critisism about his work. I know it is the best it can be (sort of).

Now for the click through issue. If I have my own website and promote it and spend the money to market it and I get the most click throughs because I do spend the money and put in the time and effort then why should I be penalized by being dropped to the bottom of the list. If the other folks want to get more click throughs then they need to spend the time, effort and money. This is NOT and easy business and yet I have been blessed with a successful company because I market myself and work very hard at separating myself from other inspectors. Luck has no part in it, just hard work & a good marketing plan and follow through.

So,....if you want to get more click throughs then work on it, I don't think that NACHI should be pushing folks along with positioning when they don't have alot of click throughs.

Also, Nick,... I have been calling a lot of NACHI guys to solicit them to do their radon and I am finding that many are not doing inspections yet because they have not secured the E&O insurance or just changed their minds. If in PA our NACHI guys are required to have E&O and they don't then how do we advertise them as being "certified". I thought that the NACHI membership required E&O for the states that require it??

I think we need to work on this issue. I am not talking about folks who just joined, I am talking about some who have been on the books for months.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Jeff:

You are not penalized for hits that come from visitors going directly to your site, only hits generated by NACHI. NACHI's link to your site itself attracts click thrus... which is good for your business and so nothing to complain about. I suspect positioning is far less important than you think. Anyway, alphabetical positioning is certainly unfair.

As for your off-topic question, NACHI ONLY REQUIRES its members to carry E&O insurance if their state requires it. PA does NOT require members of inspection associations to carry E&O insurance. PA only requires you to carry E&O insurance if you perform inspections. I have always advised our new PA members NOT to buy E&O insurance until just before they actually begin performing fee-paid inspections. No sense paying a premium for insurance that neither PA or NACHI requires.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY