New updates to FindAnInspector.US

Originally Posted By: Webmaster
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please note that these changes apply to FindAnInspector.US only. The search engine on nachi.org will soon be replaced with FindAnInspector.US.

Changes to distance formula
I've just changed NACHI's FindAnInspector.US's query method to the Great Circle Distance Formula. This formula uses spherical trigonometry to calculate the exact distance between two points with extreme precision, rather than assuming 69.1 miles for each latitude degree and 53 miles for each longitude degree. It will allow for more accurate searches.

Changes to search results
You'll also notice that FindAnInspector.US displays the distance from the search location in its search results. It also limits the "also serving" block further, preventing one person to take up too much room on a page.

Changes to sorting method
The search results are still sorted primarily by the distance from the search location. Each location is then sorted using an auto-parity method that ensures that NACHI members get equal exposure. By tracking how many times a member has received an e-mail through FindAnInspector.US, how many times a member's website has been visited through FindAnInspector.US, and how many times a member's "email" link has been clicked on FindAnInspector.US, we are able to give members with less exposure a chance to catch up. For example, assuming that Inspector X and Inspector Y serve the same locations, if Inspector X has received 3 e-mails through FindAnInspector.US and Inspector Y has received 2, Inspector Y will appear above Inspector X in the search results for that location.

Changes to the search page
I've added "Exact Match" and "Within 10 mile" options to the search page to provide better results in locations with many NACHI inspectors.

Feel free to reply with any questions or suggestions.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://etmyYRAZnEbx3DweZoFQjrpnhfN.html)

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Hold on Igor, we’re not quite done. We’ve been overhauling it all day. Give us a few more hours. Getting there…

Nick

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Igor,

Go to: http://www.findaninspector.us/search.php?search_ENGINE=zip&amp DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;zip=12737&radius=20

This page is the search result for your zip code. It shows you and only you under that particular zip.

As for the problem you have with the system as a whole -- it's not a problem, it's simply a difference in opinion about how the system should work. Our find an inspector script originally worked exactly as you've suggested. Every member was listed under one zip code. But this doesn't work for many people, illustrated by the scenarios that Nick described. If you live in a different area than that you service, or the area that you're based in is too small to keep your business alive, you're screwed. This is the case for many people. In response to this issue, we implemented the multi-zip listing system. New inspectors are automatically added under their primary zip. They then have the opportunity the optimize their exposure by adding more zips. This is not required, but will produce better results.

As you can see, I've been working all day on revamping the system. There was an issue that Jeff Remas brought up, regarding primary zip codes. That issue has been resolved (the trig function was returning NULL for a perfect match, which cannot be compared with a < operator). Let me know if there are any other errors.

As for the way the system works -- how does everyone feel? I think that it's quite unfair to the members mentioned above and in other posts to base the whole system solely on one primary zip. With the new auto-parity sorting method, everyone gets equal exposure. I think this is the way it should be left, but I'd love to hear feedback.

Ok, it's just about bed time (I'm starting to sound like Nick).

--
Chris Morrell

![](upload://6w9raEQQHCRFxW24uCVRLpy0Ogj.html)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I think it’s just fine the way it is.

We all try to get the best advantage we can.

(See the guy from Statewide, KY, a town that doesn't exist with a nice big national sounding name)

I feel it uses good logic in that it uses the data we submit about where we want to serve rather than where we live as its foundation.

Some of the guys in podunk towns a few miles from a major city would never get listed in the major city using your criteria. I know a guy who choses to live in a nice country place about 60 miles from the major city he choses to work in. If our locator sucked like ASHI & NAHI, he'd never get listed in the major city. Is that fair?

I've always thought that locators such as ASHI's suck for that reason. They list you based on where you live, not where you work.

Join the rest of us, Igor. Figure out a circle of zip codes that define your service area, submit it, and move on with life.

I do think your criticisms of the search engine have resulted in some needed changes and am glad you brought the subject up.

Perhaps instead of the huge list of "also serves" it could be set up to display a marketing statement submitted by each inspector. I still think we need to submit our "also serves" for the database to use, I just don't think it needs to be displayed.

For example, I'd rather see something like:

Providing home inspections in Central, Northern, & Eastern Kentucky for Home Buyers & Home Sellers

versus

Erby Crofutt also serves the areas of: Georgetown, KY Lawrenceburg, KY Morehead, KY Mount Sterling, KY Lancaster, KY Lexington, KY Frankfort, KY Dry Ridge, KY Flemingsburg, KY Florence, KY Campton, KY

I did a search on a New York zip code and there were huge lists of also serves cluttering up the page. That made it very hard to read.

Constructive criticism can help make it better. You've done that.

Negative criticism sucks. You've done that. (It sucks)
![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thank you Chris & Igor!

Much improved. Still a couple bugs though.

Nick

Originally Posted By: rstephens

I agree with Erby I like it the way it is I come up all over the eastern part of my state though I do come up in some area’s I do not cover. This only happened once and I am sure there is another NACHI Inspector out there that got a home inspection from me. I recommended that they call all the inspectors on the nachi site that is close to their zip.

Still a few more bugs on our side… working on them… nick

Actually, there aren’t any bugs, as far as I know. What Nick thought was a bug just turned out to be him misreading a zip code. Let me know if anyone finds a bug, but I’m pretty sure it works perfectly now.

Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: jwalker

I also agree with Erby!

Maybe I'm biased since I'v had some success with the locater.

I think this has been a good exercise. (re-evaluate/tune-up).

Next Topic! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
James Walker

Our Service Is A Long Term Investment!

OneSource Real Estate Inspections
DFW, Texas
www.dfwhomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Never had a single call or e-mail from the locator.

But, I will!

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Ok Chris, here’s a bug for you:

If you type in zip 01844 which is Dave Valley's home zip, I come up first.

If you type in Zip 01830 which is a Haverhill zip where I live Dave Valley comes up first.

In fairness we only live 5 miles apart but this seems a bit daft ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: psabados

I have on too Chris

My zip is 66062. If I type 66061 the other half of the city, I don't even show up, but other inspectors 20 miles away do.

My preference would be cities over a 100 or so zips in my area

If figured since my city only has three zips this wouldn't be a problem. But if someone types the zip 1/2 mile away from mine, no mention.

If I do a city search such as Overland Park, Ks. Cities are not in the data base. OP,Ks is about 100,000 pop.

Not good

Paul

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I agree with Paul. I did a search for Englewood FL which is two blocks from me (granted our blocks are big) and the guy from Sarasota (32 miles away) came up before me.

Rotonda West (where I live) was a part of Englewood until a couple of years ago. So the whole space theory of relativity or whatever could be tweaked a little bit more so the HI living nearest the territory comes up first. I actually come up near the top in Sarasota.

Fortunately for me, the fossils who live around here don't know WWW from WWII.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

BTW Paul, I grew up in Nall Hills in Overland Park. I hear its a bit different now. When I left it was about 20k people or less.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Blaine

OP ate up Stanley and Stillwell, almost near Louisburg. Created a new School District, Blue Valley w/3-4 HS. Most of them farms are housing developements now. Only trees you see now are cedar shake roofs

Paul

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Unreal!

I lived on W 101st and walked to Nall Hills Elementary. My sister went to Shawnee Mission West. I don't think I ever saw more than two cars coming or going to school. Metcalf wasn't even a real busy street either. I think it had a couple of small shopping centers, one with a Kroger. But, I did leave there in 1970. Go Chiefs!!

Blaine

Gerry,

Actually, 01860 is only 1 mile from the approximate center of 01830, where 01835 (the zip you have for Haverhill) is 3 miles from the center of 01830. Even though they're the same town, 01860 is closer. Now, the centers of zip codes are approximate, and it's very hard to get them perfect. I'm going to buy a different database to see if it's any more accurate than our current one.

Paul,

Send me the zips that aren't in the database, and any info you have on them. I'll add them. This is the second time I've heard of a missing zip code -- I think it's time to look for a new data provider. The reason you don't come up in 66061 is because of the same reason mentioned above. Perhaps new data would change this.

--
Chris Morrell

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Igor,

I am from Phoenixville and you don't hear me complaining, do you? Type in the zip code 19460 and just look how many inspectors there are around me! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Hey Igor,

Do you want some cheese with that whine! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) I agree the system needs tweaking. Looks like it's happening. Give 'em a chance Wildman.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.