Find Inspector has major flaw

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Geeze, you almost gave me a heart attack. I checked though and it works fine.

I put your zip code in... 12737... and you come up first.

I then put your city, state in... Glen Spey NY... and tried again... again you come up first.

Don't scare me like that.

Nick

PS. If two inspectors share a common zip code the inspector that has been with NACHI the longest comes up first.

No. It isn’t based on membership status.

It is based on location first and foremost. If someone is looking in the zip code your in, you'll come up first, regardless of your membership status. And you do:

http://www.findaninspector.us/search.php?search_ENGINE=zip&amp DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;zip=12737&radius=20&Submit=Search+Now%21

If by freak chance, 2 NACHI Inspectors have the same zip code, the member that has been with NACHI the longest comes up first, and the other one comes up next, on the very same page...although we don't have many inspectors within the same zip code.
Nick

Oh. I understand your question now. The reason has to do with inspectors who live in one town but work in another.

An example: Joe Haggarty of Housemaster for instance lives in one town, but has a franchise territory in another. Then someone else owns the territory next to that. Joe also owns a second territory on the other side of him. Two different territories, split by an area he doesn't work in. I don't think he lives in any of them.

FindanInspector.US doesn't make public the member's actual home address, but only searches based on WHERE the member wants to work.

Another example: We have many members who live close to neighborhoods that they don't want to work in at all.

Another example: We have members who niche market to only hi-end homes in neighborhoods they don't live in. Those members only want work from those areas.

FindAnInspector.US has built in intelligence which caters to each member's desire.

Nick

Four more examples:

A member who works for another inspector might drive far to that inspector's market.

A member who employees several inspectors who live outside his firm's market.

A multi-partner inspection company. I used to be in an inspection company with many partners. One lived very far from where we would ever accept inspection work.

A multi-office inspection company that has two or more offices. We have one member who has offices in several states.

Nick

or

Is he/she looking for the inspectors who are willing to perform an inspection in the area he/she is buying?

I admit though, up till now I've only been working on getting A NACHI member the inspection. I've given no thought to WHICH NACHI member. I'm open to suggested improvements as always.

Nick

Yes,

Currently FindAnInspector gives more (actually all) weight to WHERE each member desires and is willing to work, not WHERE he sleeps,

regardless of whether or not he is an employee, multi-employee employer, independent, newbie, veteran, franchise owner, niche marketer, partner, or multi-office owner. FindAnInspector gives what they each ask for...sometimes to their own detriment.

But of course this can be changed.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jwalker

I do work in all 20+ zips that I have submitted! I also live and work in a zip with another nachi member. seems to be working fine for me!!

(2) scheduled jobs from the findaninspector.us since last thursday.

There is always room for improvement.

Igor, where are the links your posting from, your favorites ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
James Walker

Our Service Is A Long Term Investment!

OneSource Real Estate Inspections
DFW, Texas
www.dfwhomeinspector.com

Another intelligence feature built-into FindAnInspector.US:

The towns serviced are live links. If the consumer clicks on a town in any member's service area, a new search showing all member's that service that town comes up.

Also: FindAnInspector.US contains all NACHI members and only NACHI members. All NACHI members are automatically put into FindAnInspector.US and non-NACHI members can't get on FindAnInspector.US. Slots on the site are not available to non-members.

Nick

I can’t remember any day in the past several months where NACHI didn’t receive at least 1 email or phone call from a non-NACHI inspector asking to pay to get on FindAnInspector.US. It is a very popular and prominent site as internet sites go. http://www.nachi.org/mousepad.htm is making it even more popular.

Sorry, listing is 100% free but for NACHI members-only.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jwalker

The Findaninspector.us Top Ten!!

Brought to you by the late night nachi crew (Nick).

give me another Nick!

--
James Walker

Our Service Is A Long Term Investment!

OneSource Real Estate Inspections
DFW, Texas
www.dfwhomeinspector.com

Not only is http://www.nachi.org/mousepad.htm working but money works too. I’ve increased NACHI’s cap on click thru fees to Google. At 3 cents a click thru we still paid more than $1,500.00 to Google last month. See http://www.nachi.org/google.htm

Getting our members high up on search engines and visible on the internet is an art all by itself. The more hits you get, the higher your search engine ranking, so the more hits you get, so the higher.... What really helps with search engine ranking is size. NACHI.org is the 800 pound gorilla of inspection-related websites. See http://www.nachi.org/stats.htm As far as we can tell it is several hundred (not twice or three times) SEVERAL HUNDRED times as active an popular as any other inspection-related site. Better still, compared to other sites, we're putting more and more distance on them. Being able to coattail it really helps FindAnInspector.US and our other sites.

Nick

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

You are right about the 20 zip codes and wrong about the searches being unfair for the reasons I mentioned above.

Starting next week I will limit all zips to 20-25 at most. I will instruct Lia to delete those after 20 or 25 next week but first I need to refine my instructions on how to pick the 20 or 25. Its not that it costs NACHI anymore to put in 10,000, it doesn't. Its just a little complicated because its intelligent.

Russel (since you brought him up) lives in one town (San Diego) that has over 100 zip codes. Currently, if you list more than one zip code with the same town name, it will only display the town once. In other words it does no good to list 2 zip codes from the same town. This intelligence was built-in for many reasons which I won't list here but one was just so the site looked good to consumers. It would look silly to list San Diego as a service area under 1 inspector...25 times or worse 100 times. San Diego is San Diego. No home buyer knows the zip code they are buying in... they only know the town (I know this, I'm a REALTOR).

Now let me tell you why I let some members plug in more than 20. Some argued that they lived in an urban area that had numerous zips in one small area (like NY members), or several other reasonable reasons. I also wanted to test something. However, the problem I predicted actually occurred. You will notice in one of my previous posts on this thread, last edited before I posted this one, that I said "FindAnInspector gives what they each ask for...sometimes to their own detriment." Listing less than 20 zip codes (like you do) or more than 20 zip codes will harm you. Yes, I'll say it again because I am convinced: Listing less than 20 zip codes or more than 20 zip codes will cause less consumers to contact you. I wasn't sure of this at first. I only had a hunch. Now that I have data, I know it to be true. Inspectors like you that list one zip code appear to be small, part-time inspectors...and consumers can't find them. Inspectors that list 50 zip codes appear to be non-local big firms...consumers see all those other towns. CONSUMERS WANT THE LOCAL FULL-TIME INSPECTOR. They don't want the big firm who works in 50 towns...the don't want the part-time guy that looks like he's hiding. 20 or 25 zips is the right amount. I'll try to write clear instructions/tips and then enforce it for the good of all.

Thank you Igor.

Nick

PS I have very good data on this and even double tested it with a few dummy (fake) inspectors in varying numbers of listed zips. It will be 20 or 25. Probably 20. Let me analyze things tomorrow. I think 20 looks better too.

There should be no “discrepancies” because the system does not search on as you say “where your comrades are from.” It searches on “where they want to and are willing to go.”

www.FindAnInspector.US gives each member what it asks for, it does not care where you sleep at night.

Nick

Here’s another example: Years ago, Chris Morrell (our webmaster) was a NACHI member/inspector and worked for me at Peach Inspections (when I used to own it). Chris lived 30 miles outside of where Peach was willing to schedule an inspection. The ASHI search engine would have had consumers contacting him or Peach to perform inspections in a town they refused to service. Worse yet, no one using that junk, brainless search engine would call him or Peach in the town they would service.

Where an inspector sleeps means nothing to the consumer... nothing to FindAnInspector... and worse than nothing to our members.

Nick

Here’s a one-man-operation example of how the junk, brainless ASHI search engine screws both consumer and ASHI member: Let’s say your address is in a very small , obscure town that couldn’t possibly give you enough inspection business to survive. Luckily for you this small town is near a well-know major city which you get most of your work from.

FindAnInspector has built-in intelligence that would list you in the big city that you mostly work in and that out of town buyers, or even local buyers, would recognize.

ASHI's junk brainless search engines would strand you in the small unrecognized town you live in just because it is your mailing address.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

Nick, I spoke to you about this before. When someone does a search, at MINIMUM it shows ALL of the inspectors within a 20mile radius. Therefore, if you live in an area with tons of zip codes you can strategically use just a few zip codes to cover the entire area. For example if I place each zip code 20 miles away from each other and place 9 zip codes, I can essentially have a 2400 square mile area covered or 60miles by 60miles. That is about my limit around here.

The problem that I see is that folks are listed multiple times. If I search NAHI or ASHI, they only list those inspectors in that radius one time. We are all listed multiple times because the zip codes are so close together. I do agree with Igor on this one.

EXAMPLE: I just typed in my zip code and over 200 inspectors showed up. We don't have anywhere near 200 inspectors so it looks all cluttered up. I think there about 18-20 guys but some are listed so many times I cannot count. WHAT IS FAIR ABOUT THAT?? I think I will be sending you the 1000 zip codes that Igor mentioned. What we really need to do is keep this at the original 10 and leave it at that. One guy near me must have about 40 listings.

Please consider having Chris revamp this search. It is a mess.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Yes Sir-ree,

Igor, you have brought up a valid tiff. I just typed in my residence zip code and Gerry Beaumont comes up first. He doesn't even live here in Methuen, He lives in Haverhill. My name should be the first to pop up on this particular screen, not his (No offense Gerry).
Also, if you look closely at the top of this page, it states "This list is sorted by the distance from the location for which you searched." This is not true at all in my situation. Why does Gerrys' name come up first in the city I reside in? Because the last name is alphabetized or because he's been a member longer than I have?
I say we have this www.findaninspector.us revamped and set up to favor the NACHI inspectors residence, and not by where they work.

Thank you Igor, for bringing this up. When I first checked out this site, I seen Gerrys' name in front of mine...I had thought that this was just simply alphabetized. That's why I let it go. But I have mutual feelings in this matter. The city of residence should be prioritized or favored on this site.

I like the locators that give "DISTANCE FROM YOU" as a reference.

Thank you Nick and Chris.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."