Fire extinguishers

Originally Posted By: mpettitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Looking for specs on fire extinguisher placement in hallways of motels, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, etc. How many feet should be between each extinguisher and any other comments concerning fire safety besides sprinkler systems. Any and all comments appreciated.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif

Hi Mike; hope you are well:

Without research to give you specifications on Fire Extinguishers, I have these comments from experience to help if at all.

Fire extinguishers should be located to with-in ten feet of all exits, at the minimum.

Your mention, of above protection for Nursing Homes, Assisted Living, and Nursing Homes, as far as supplement to sprinkler systems, which are mandatory for these structures, I would recommend design criteria from a professional Architect/Engineer. Codes for these establishments are stringent on fire protection and the life safety code NFPA 101.

Most of the establishments require sprinkler systems complimented with heat and smoke detectors along with hold-open doors connected to the fire alarm system. A complete fire alarm system is also required.
Exit signs are also required for direction to all exists, including directional exit signs when direction of the exit corridors change in direction or lose sight of the exits.

Their is a code requirement on distance between stairwells and exits, determined by the occupancy level. This category gets very technical, and expert review should be taken in this area.

Your questions involve very technical answers and all pertain to design criteria of the life safety codes established for those establishments, that you are referring to.
I would be careful in your attempts to inspect these types of establishments, if this is why you are asking these questions.

Do not take this comment offensively, because I do not know your qualifications, you might know more in this field than I do. I am only trying to provide you information that I already know without doing research on the specifics of the documentation and specifications available out there.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Sometimes, you have to go to the source:

NFPA 10 Life Safety Codes

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

icon_smile.gif

Hi. Erby, hope you are fine,

NFPA 10 is about fire extinguishers for it's selection, installation, inspection, maintenacne, and testing.
That was not the question, NFPA 101 categorizes it's use in the proper location. Since I spit out the information off the cuff, I do not think I did so bad in reference to the code applicable at hand.

Originally Posted By: mpettitt

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve already been involved in one assisted living facility. We disclaim any fire safety aspects and sprinkler systems and recommend the experts. Only comment on systems in place such as smoke alarms, one way doors, emergency exits and lights etc. and if they are operational. We’re now looking at a 60 plus room motel. I just wanted to throw this out to everyone to see if maybe someone had comments or ideas that we hadn’t thought of. Love this message board, always learning. I’d like to contribute more but at this point its better to just listen and learn. Thanks again, Mike

icon_smile.gif

Hi Mike, hope you are fine and all is well.

Nice to here that you received some good information through the forum and hope you continue to be involved.

Please feel free to ask any related questions you may have regarding commercial establishments. I am still employed by a General Contractor here in Maine, and been building for 37 years in the Commercial Arena.

Feel free anytime to communicated with this forum. If I can help on any issues, I will do my best.

Thanks,

Marcel

. The best reference for specs is the source.

If you check or click the link, you'll see it was just a mis-type on my part. The link leads to 101 not 10. I just screwed up and left off the 1.

Oooooopss. Usually I'd catch that. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif) ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Hope you're starting to get warmer up there.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

icon_smile.gif

Thanks Erby;

I was just trying to help Mike any which way I can without spending to much time in research.

I am a Commercial Builder, for the past 35 years and was able to dictate what I have learned to help someone. Home Inspection for me is part-time. I enjoy talking to you guys an learn what is out there and help who I can, if I can.

Definition of Experience, "{ a whole bunch of mistakes")

Thank you,

Marcel

Well hell, I must have plenty of experience then. I’ve sure made plenty of mistakes.

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

: icon_biggrin.gif D icon_biggrin.gif

Hi. Erby; hope everything is well.

Nice to see you have gained all that experience. ha. ha..

People will not remember what you do good, right and with the breeze without a problem, but, they will sure remember when you make a mistake. Unfortunately, gratitude is not always in the right place.

Therefore, the less mistakes we make in our encounters, the easier it is to provide a service to people that might not always say thank-you, because they paid you for it.

The thing to watch out for is a mistake that can not be corrected.

My definition of an error. (A mistake only becomes an error when it can not be corrected.) I hate those circumstances, don't you?

Erby,
Would you have any insight what commercial Inspectors charge in your area to inspect Commercial Properties? I would be curious as to if they have a fix price or charge so much a square foot. I would appreciate it if you have that resource.

Have a good day.

Marcel