Residential...Fire Extinguishers & their inspections

hello…

I have been an insurance inspector since march; & have familiarized myself w/ all relative code info…(at least i’d like to think I have)…but 1 thing still puzzles me about residential dwelling fire extinguisher installs as required in APARTMENTS: they never seem to be tagged (as in…inspected by a local official).

My company cites ‘standard practices’ as to their requirement; & NFPA 10 sez nothing about residential vs. commercial.

So, I guess the questions become: Since class A fire extinguishers are required to be installed in the kitchen of an apartment (1 for every 75 feet of travel)…

1. what code governs this requirement; & why?

2. why do I consistently see un-tagged fire extinguishers in apartment kitchens?

thanx,

mel odic

I would assume the fire extinguishers you see are private property just like in your house and fall under no governmental inspection. Extinguishers in public areas may be different.

[QUOTE=Mel Odic;1090964)
have familiarized myself w/ all relative code info…
but 1 thing still puzzles me about residential dwelling fire extinguisher installs as required in APARTMENTS

You say that you’re familiar with the codes. Please show the code that shows this requirement.

: they never seem to be tagged (as in…inspected by a local official). [/FONT]

Does the “local law” require a public official to inspect every 12 months? 18 months? What is the requirement?

My company cites ‘standard practices’ as to their requirement; & NFPA 10 sez nothing about residential vs. commercial.
“Standard practices” whose standards are they using?

[FONT=Tahoma]So, I guess the questions become: Since class A fire extinguishers are required to be installed in the kitchen of an apartment (1 for every 75 feet of travel)… Where did you get this information?

1. what code governs this requirement; & why?

2. why do I consistently see un-tagged fire extinguishers in apartment kitchens?

thanx,

mel odic
[/QUOTE]

I know that I have posted questions and have not answered anything. But I think the questions are Vital to helping you find the correct answer.

call your municipality fire marshal. In my state that is governed by them, and each town is different. Also our state (over licensed probably) has a separate license for fire safety systems including extinguishers in rental property.