Please note these usually contain Carbon tetrachloride
It is extremely dangerous and deadly .
We used to use this to clean copper and had three electricians
die from it in a man hole in a very short period of time .
Remember those when I was a kid, they were visible in my Fathers garage, thank God we never had to use them.
Wonder where all the safety warnings were back then on this product?
I think they worked great on a fire only they now gave of an different gas not even more toxic the Carbon Tet.
I used to use it a lot and they also used it in commercial degrease rs a warm tank turned it into a vapor and it had cold pipes around the top to keep to the gas in the tank .
Worked great removed all traces of grease and dirt like wow .
It was also used in dry cleaning a wonder product that even went through the skin .
Gee I wonder is that what is wrong with Meeeeeeeeeee???
The worst part about carbon tetrachloride as a fire extinguishant is that it produces phosgene gas when heated. That is what the Germans used in WWI against allied troops.
So would this then be considered a hazardous materials situation, would you inform the local fire department immediately?
AKA Mustard Gas
HCFC Refrigerant’s like R-22 are also known to produce Phosgenes Gas when exposed to a heat source. It really burns the hell out of your lungs
Another recent example…
Hard to believe they are still around.
How old was that building?
I used to work at a shop that used it to clean out contaminated auto A/C systems, it did a great job. They had a pharmacist who got it for them after it was banned.
haven’t seen one of these since I was youngster…about 45 years ago.
Home was a circa 1920 (Disclosed Age).
It is pretty common to find these within the older homes of this area.
Brian, now that is old. :mrgreen:
And another from yesterdays inspection… Original portion of the home over 150 years…
Joe; Isn’t there any young houses in your area?
That was a newer home.
This was today’s…
Now that is better, and you can’t tell me you found fire grenades in this one!