Fire suppressant systems

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Fire suppressant system pipes in the attic today were labeled “Listed 44Y6 CPVC pipe for underground water mains.” I’m always uncomfortable when something says something but it’s not being used that way. Any comments?

![](upload://sXhtfkxsjzPcTEqGxVN7eOBf2g6.jpeg)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russel,

I usually don't include the inspection of fire sprinkler systems in my reports but I don't think what you are seeing is bad.

My understanding of sprinkler systems it that they must maintain a certain amount of pressure in order to be effective. While I am not certain of what materials could be used I would think that one rated for use as a water main would be one of the better choices since it not only has to withstand the water pressure but the pressure of traffic and the earth coverings as well.

From a common sense approach it sounds pretty good to me. Maybe someone here can look up the code approved materials to help you feel at ease with this. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Thanks, Joe. Now it’s just the extra heat in the attic that concerns me.

I actually like your logic. Are you my long-lost Spock? Scotty, I think we've found him. Beam him to San Diego, Scott. Now, Scotty!

Kirk out

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russel,

CPVC is rated at temperatures up to 200 degrees. If the attic is getting that hot the sprinkler system is the least of your worries! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY....we can't do it captain...we have'nt got the power (too many AC units running in san diego).

Joe Myers

Thanks again, Joe.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.