Firewall

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had an inspection today, I found that the firewall is missing between the attached garage and living room. I can see the attic over the living area from the garage. Does the firewall need to extend all the way to the roof joist? This would then close off the attic over the living space from the garage.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Yes. The living space has to protected by a firewall that either extends to the top (enclosing the attic over the living space) or covers the garage ceiling (protecting living space above the garage).

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

That’s what I thought I remembered. It’s been a long time since I have seen the firewall have a hole or missing completely. People are really good about leaving the firewall alone.

Thank you

Originally Posted By: jhorton

In my area you never see firewalls except in apartment buildings or commercial buildings.

Jeff <*\><

The man who tells the truth doesn’t have to remember what he said.

Even on new construction? The three states I’ve lived in, the builder and home owner did a real nice job on not messing it up.

I must say that when I moved to Kentucky, they had really nice carports. Couldn't understand why a carport, but when we bought our house and it had a one car garage and a two car carport' I loved that carport and to this day, I miss it. ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

The living space must be protected from fire via a firewall, but at least in Florida and Virginia (where I have inspected), the firewall does not have to extend to the roof trusses. These garages must be protected by at least 5/8" sheetrock or other flameproof material. And don’t forget the 1 hour rated garage door between the garage and living space.

Check your local building authority for your local standards.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jhorton

Out side of the city limits there is no zoning in effect. As far as I know that is typical of most all of our counties. You can build what ever you want too. Granted most people use 1/2 drywall on the walls but no there is no requirement for it.

Well there maybe some code that covers it but there is no enforcement.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.