Firewall

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Reading a previous post I would like to hear — What is a ‘Firewall’.

I doubt if you will ever find one in a residential (single family) home.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

You certainly won’t find one in Mahoning County.

Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Mike,

It is a method of seperating the garage (usually) from the living space. It can be accomplished by using fire-rated drywall on the house wall and ceiling OR placing fire-rated drywall on the house wall and extending it up to the roof. Hope this helps.

Rick

Originally Posted By: jpope

Mike Parks wrote:
I doubt if you will ever find one in a residential (single family) home.

On the contrary. You will find "firewalls" in MOST single family dwellings.

I've seen a few posts referring to our "inappropriate" use of the term "firewall" or "firewall system."

A firewall system in a commercial application is much different than those used in residential application, however, there are, in fact, residential firewall systems.

The purpose of a firewall is simply to resist compromise in the event of a fire. I think the confusion (if you will) is that residential and commercial applications have huge differences in requirements for duration and intensity.

A wood framed wall covered with 3/4 inch drywall, absent of penetrations and holes, is considered to be sufficient for residential firewall protection between the garage and living space. It has a specific rating for fire resistance.

Is this sufficient for commercial applications? Certainly not. Many commercial firewalls require complete encapsulation of intense fire and heat for a sustained period of time.

Our use of the term "firewall" does not imply that the wall separating the garage from the living space will resist the intense heat of a car fire until it burns out. But it is likely to resist burning rags or a small fire more so than exposed wall framing would.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: roconnor

"

A "Fire Wall" is an independent fire-rated assembly that completely divides a building, and is designed to allow collapse of the construction on one side, without the wall itself or construction on the other side collapsing. An example of a Fire Wall would be the masonry walls between townhouse units. For those under older model codes, the terms for this wall might be a little different (including those in CA).

Thats the basics, but I could post the actual code definitions from the IBC if you really want me to bore you Mike ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpope

roconnor wrote:
is really called a "Fire Barrier"

I'm still callin' it a firewall ![eusa_naughty.gif](upload://nYl3dmRmAIH81yCdH9V96akYnNa.gif) !!

. . . okay, maybe I revert to barrier

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

jpope wrote:
I've seen a few posts referring to our "inappropriate" use of the term "firewall" ...

Technically I think they are correct if it's the typical separation/barrier, and not an independent wall. But for a home inspection I really dont think those code terms are that important ... as long as the meaning is clear.

That would be like jumping on an HI for using say the common term "neutral", instead of the more correct code term "grounded conductor" ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Gentlemen:

Using the term fire-wall when referring to the drywall separation between the house and garage of a SFR would be incorrect. In my earlier post(s) regarding this issue I was simply trying to promote the proper use of building code terminology on this forum in hopes of enhancing the professional image of our members.

The gypsum separation between the garage and living space of a SFR is neither a fire-wall, fire-barrier or even a fire-partition (the three terms used in the IRC for fire-rated construction.

Nick recently announced a partnership with the ICC whereby we might be able to receive joint training from the organization that publishes the International Codes. We all have a vested interest in learning and using the proper code terminology when dealing with our clients or sitting next to an ICC member at a training session.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: psisler

Jeff,

I lean towards your explanation. In all of the condo's and apartment buildings I built, there was, up in the attics, doubled rock (1/2") on both sides of the trusses up to the roof line and down to the ceiling line. In the residential single family dwellings as well the rock was doubled 1/2' rock between the garage and the home (attached). This was explained to me by a county engineer as a "fire rated wall". All of the builders that I know still call them "firewalls". That does not necessarily make it correct but that is what we call them here. Their only function is to slow the burn from one area to another..period. Of course, I know that this will be jumped on because there are different codes for different states and counties and different opinions on what is called what here.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

No jumping here…you should use the term that’s widely used in your area…

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ssopha

Here is an article on “Gypsum-Board Firewalls”

http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-local/view.pdf/c3c665e484b824a980c36a5af7a2f671/www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlconline.storefront/40b9c4e800062df527177f00000105a5

rcloyd wrote:
... fire-wall, fire-barrier or even a fire-partition (the three terms used in the IRC for fire-rated construction.

Only the IBC uses these terms, which is what I think you meant ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

As I indicated, the IRC really just provides a description of the separation required, but I think the only match is a "Fire Barrier" (would also apply for a 4-story SFD as an R3 occupancy under the IBC).

Instead of getting caught up in terminology you could also just simply describe it as a "garage fire separation", since the IRC does use the term "separation" in the requirements (R309.1) ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: jrice

Hi,

How can something that’s a software program on my computer protect me from a fire out in the garage? icon_confused.gif

Jeff

Jeff … Yet another reason not to use the term “fire wall” for the construction separating your garage from your house … we wouldn’t want to confuse that with a program … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?