Firewall

Mark, some of my statements are from the IBC and IRC, and definitions and requirements vary from Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction. And from what I found, the State of Hawaii has very few Building Codes established other than the Model Energy Code or IECC.
I also found this.
Proposed Building Code Rules

State Building Code
State Electrical Code
State Fire Code
State Energy Conservation Code
State Plumbing Code
State Residential Code

It appears there are a lot of fragmented building requirements which currently exist between counties. The state building code would include the latest fire code as adopted by the State Fire Council, the latest edition of the International Building Code, the latest edition of the Uniform Plumbing Code.
So I guess, you can build anyway you want and no one will care. :mrgreen::wink:

Yes, each county, or island, decides the code they want to use. Just a heads up those links you provided went nowhere.
Thanks

www.MauiHomeInspections.com

The links only work on their site Mark.
Try this one.

http://hawaii.gov/dags/bcc/comments:)

Dan,
I am not new to construction or the HI industry by any means… I have been building since 1978… am a licensed GC (commercial and residential) in NC as well as licensed (and practicing) HI since the 90’s… and yes, I have also built townhomes and condos… so I am very familiar with the fire stopping requirements.

You are technically correct about parapets, the principle being that whatever means is employed it must reduce the potential of a fire from jumping from one dwelling to another. My introduction about parapets was simply show that simply looking at a 2x4 against a firewall does not in and of itself make it a deficiency… as Marcel as pointed out, there are various methods in controlling fire spread.

My issue with Buck is that as one who proclaims to be a CMI, he constantly is posting crap which exposes the CMI program for what it truly is… an advertising gimmick…that is not to say that everyone that has paid to be in this program is as incompetent as Buck… but it does make it a joke. While I am sure my statements may piss off some CMI’s, which I really dont care about, I am also sure that there are plenty who have thought to themselves the same things but never voiced it openly… being that I truly care about NACHI, I make no bones about pointing out something that is doing nothing but harming same.

As long as Buck wants to play his little ego game about “I know what I am going to write but what you…blah,blah” then don’t expect any thing different in my responses.

I asked some pretty simple questions and he has not answered any of them…obviously because he doesn’t know what he is doing or what to look for which is why he deceptively uses the forum to try to figure out what to put on his report without coming across that his CMI designation is a joke. If have read my posts in regards to home inspections then you will know that I am very respectful in how I answer sincere questions.

warm regards

Jeff

Dan, you got to admit the "warm regards’ comment was a nice touch in Jeff’s post. Now can’t we all just get along.

Why is it that the phrase “can’t we all just get along” brings up the insincerity of the media’s favorite thug…Rodney King incident…convicted robber and drunk who tried to be the crap of a police officer and got his arse handed to him… me thinketh warm regards is so much more…believable. :mrgreen:

From yesterdays, not the lack of tape and no mud on the fasteners.

Hello all:

I’m new to construction and must design a firewall between a duplex home. The adjoining wall has been demolished. Nothing left but the studs. Can anyone help? I live in Columbus OH.
Thanks, Arnold