First fully electric house runs itself!

Check out this fully electric house circa: 1934

**53 34.pdf (280.4 KB) **

4 Likes

Interesting for that time! Funny how everything was for the “woman” to use! :grin:

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth, Junior! Ha Ha. :wink:

1 Like

I notice that, they got preferential treatment over the men…

2 Likes

That is pretty cool, Bob! Thanks for sharing it.

-320 light bulbs in a six room house. :flushed:
-3 1/4 miles of wire
-87 convenience outlets
-21 built-in appliances
-In the garage, if the car is started with the car exit door closed, they open automatically.
-Etc., etc., etc.

1 Like

Lol pretty advanced setup! :grinning: A lot of outlets too!

1 Like

I’ll bet the electric meter spins like a CD disc.

3 Likes

Hooked up one month, disconnected next month, couldn’t pay the bill! :grin:

1 Like

Coal burning power plant couldn’t pump the rock in fast enough.

1 Like

It had an estimated monthly electric bill of $37 back in ~1934. I wonder what that would be in today’s dollars?

1934 Larry dang. Isn’t that about the time that guy was getting sparky flying a kite with a key on the end🙂 according to the inflation calculator it’s about $714! https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1934?amount=37

As a side note I am an amateur watchmaker and my Hamilton watches from pre Great Depression era run very strong.

Missing from that article was the thing that emancipated women the most in the 20th century. What Chuck Berry colloquially called the ‘coolerator.’ Although residential refrigerators were invented in 1913, they didn’t become practical till refrigerants developed in the 1920s’ became available.

My parents and theirs had ice boxes. My Uncle tells me they had a placard facing the alley, it said 10 cents on one side or you turned it over to say 5 cents and tell the iceman how much ice you wanted.

Mom’s Uncle John was the only one on the block who had a Westinghouse “Turret Top” refrigerator. So called because of the large round compressor on top. Food preparation took all day which was a major reason for women to stay home. To market in the morning to get fresh produce, which wouldn’t last.

I distinctly remember my Grandmother’s “Hoosier” cabinet in the kitchen. (She had a refrigerator by that time.)

Who amongst you know what a “Hoosier” cabinet was?

2 Likes

Interesting! Before my time, but I know what they are, a work space of sort. :grinning: Wasn’t very many built-in cabinets back in them days! :wink:

Great stories from my mom about ice deliveries in Chicago and the use of copper bed warmers in the winter. We take so many of our conveniences for granted today.

1 Like

Winner! It was a piece of furniture for the kitchen. I remember grandma’s cause it had a built in flour sifter. Hell, back in the day, they didn’t have built in closets. They had wardrobes.

1 Like

My Father told me grandmother had rocks that were rounded smooth by the ocean. She would heat them up and put them in the beds.

1 Like

And all I need to do is push a button on my phone to control the thermostat. We got it made.

1 Like

My father used to deliver blocks of ice in Jersey city.

1 Like

I’m sure he has some stories. My uncle told me the entertainment when he was little was running under the Milk Wagon’s horse! The horse was named Sparkplug.

My father grew up in Pittsburgh and said they had to be careful when they played in the streets. Not from cars, but from horse droppings! He was born in 1914.

1 Like