FL Department of Business and Professional Regulation adds us to Stakeholder list.

Lets doit Nick. Call the day and time in Tallahassee and will assure we will be there to support you 100%. You have done great things for the industry, lets put a lid on this non sense. Inspected Once, Inspected Right. Anyone Else, Is Just Looking Around! Belive me there are a lot of inspectors just looking around. So, let the consumer make their choice not the state.

I can’t wait to see you all. I have a plan.

20 years as a home inspector, ICC certified building inspector, member of this national organization and a state organization,FHA fee compliance inspector, Aplus rating and member of the BBB and over 7500 inspections in the county I live in and operate out of. I love to learn more about this trade and take every opportunity to educate myself regarding this proffession. My question is quite simply exactly what do they expect to teach me in this 120hr course and who is this expert that will develope and enlighten me with their knowledge and instruction?

Brian,

I wouldn’t like it either but I understand it.

Do you know any inspectors that have been inspecting for a while but don’t get it right?

Nick,

In order to be truly effective, a unified voice will have to be obtained from NACHI. It would be counter productive to have several different NACHI members at the stakeholder meeting itself. Lobbying reps and senators to pressure the DBPR is another story entirely. There should be a huge presence and lots of NACHI activity the day before and day after the stakeholders initial meeting. There will be several meetings and the first one and the last ones are the only ones that are really going to count.

“This governor is not wanting to put current inspectors out of business, a meaningful grandfather clause will be acheived.” is what DBPR told me in our last conversation.

[FONT=Verdana]What we need to do is inspect Christ home and see what he is up to. Maybe he will recognize that the certified home inspectors from InterNACHI do not need a license. They do know what they are doing. Just keep out of the industry. We are doing ok! Nick I’ll see you in Tallahassee. Licensee will just screw the business and will create more unemployment, just what Florida needs. Our customers are happy with our services; we do not need more government. Stay out!!!

When is the meeting we will be there!!!
[/FONT]

I think certification is a good thing and will definitely weed out more scammers. I dont think the rates will go down either as the state should have insurance requirements, and make inspectors adhere to workers comp laws as well. Anyone with a flashlight and a business card can charge 200-300$ to perform a bootwax half-*** inspection, with no insurance, and flee back up north when the season ends. All other professions require regulation and home inspections can now be a legitimate industry. I’m sure experienced nachi inspectors will benefit from these changes.

Agents know who are tough inspectors, and who write soft reports. Licensing will only level the playing field. Wether you have done 50 inspections or 8,000, everyone will have to abide by rules, regulations, education, insurance, and stupid state laws. Licensing just dumbs-down our profession, and let’s the newbies and the veterans play on the same level. RE’s want licensing to restrict veterans from writing detailed reports, and limit what we can and cannot do. Get it?

Same cheap low prices, same limited reporting.

Don’t you think veterans write soft reports?? I know of one (who is a CMI and on the “preferred vendor list”)that has told me he has had to correct his reports because they were too detailed. He golfs and boozes with his realtor buddies and does well.

Gary,

The reason I started inspecting is because a seasoned veteran with this organization, ASHI, FABI and twenty years experience charged me a mere $250 and got my plumbing wrong. He didnot tell me it was PB2110 or the problems associated with it.The “newbie”/ veteran fight distracts from what needs to be done.Florida is doing this no matter how much everyone pisses and moans on this message board. Personally, I have no problem with regulation so long as it does not increase my current bottom line. I already carry insurance and operate a professional business so as long as we hold the rule makers hands it should be beneficial. A simple solution that I understand is already proposed is grandfathering anyone with 3 years, existing insurance, and current membership with a major organization that requires continuing education.

Once that occurs the market price should be controlled by the professionals and limited reporting should go away.

[FONT=Verdana]LICENSE: DISAGREE! 100% is the customer job to do his own DD and select the correct inspector for the job, period! Just because you can pass a stupid test and obtain a license that does not mean that you have the skills to perform an honest, unbiased and thorough job. ALSO IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE NOT INCAHOOTS WITH A REALTOR.

Uneducated, unskillful, inexperience and blind inspectors are a dime a dozen. Struggling to make a living because they thought that this business was to make easy money. From minimum wages to $75 top $125.hr quite enticing… But the reality is different. So these mediocre inspectors are leaving the industry in records numbers. I see a hint of this happening in our area. Our success in this business is based in the loyalty to our client period. ZERO TOLERANCE WHEN INSPECTING A HOUSE. I love when they call me a DK. So, what will license will do = NOTHING. It will confuse our customers because they will rely just in the license to hire an inspector. Who will win: Government, schools and mediocre inspectors?

I hope you do not fall in this category …We need a coalition of veteran, educated, knowledgeable and tough inspectors to take the lead in this matter. Along with the MASTER of InterNACHI we shall overcome this non sense. Grandfathering in shall be based in education, experience and expertise. If an individual have been in business for 4 to 8 years and continue to make a living and maintain the high standards imposed by his or her association with no complains should be entitle to be grandfather in.
[/FONT]

Where and when and I’ll drive up (five hours).

Nick when is this meeting I would like to attend and do what ever is necessary.

So what is NACHIs (Nicks) new position on licensing? It must have changed since you are getting involved in Floridas licensing.

Not sure why you guys are debating about licensing. We are going to be licensed. No matter how wrong you think it is.

Lets look at the facts:

1. Licensing will happen some time next year.
  2. No one is going to be happy with all of the requirements of licensing.
  3. Licensing is not going to raise the number of inspectors in the state.
  4. Licensing is going to remove all of the fly by nighters that are in the business now.
  5. Grandfathering is not a part of the bill as it stands now.

Everything else is just speculation.

No change in our position on licensing.

Perhaps a 4 years experience requirement like the mold inspector license would help. Currently the new law has no experience requirements for HI’s. We just went to a workshop about a week ago on the east coast with over 250 mold inspectors/remediators and everyone is excited about the new law. “get the bums out” of the mold business was very popular statement.
If you believe experience is important and I agree, then HI’s should have an experience requirement.

Just call us excited about 2010!

Greg is right about all his points. There is no reason to debate over license or not…that time is over. There will be no rallying to stop licensing, it has already occured. The only thing left to discuss is the implementation by DBPR and how it effects the existing inspectors in the industry. Trying to do anything else could seriously hurt NACHI and its inspectors position with regards to grandfathering as the DBPR is solely responsible for doing at the direction of the governor.

If the state of Florida’s licensing is similar to Illinois then hold on to your wallets… inspectors…

Sounds like the same issues and concerns. We went through the process. Pay 400 bucks every two years and get a lot of NOTHING.
ASHI was heavy into the process… ASHI head quarters are in Illinois… ASHI based testing and now we don’t have enough state personnel to handle those who don’t even have the proper “credentials” working as inspectors… How is our enforcement? WEAK!
SOP… ok…fine yet You cover just the SOP and forget the rest. That is nice so you get sued anyway… Realtors have heavy input in the process of HI licensing. Not for your benefit but so it doesn’t slow down the process for their transaction. 5 days for client…JOKE… client hires you in three days and needs everything from you in 12 hours… you get 48 hours NOT business days…

Pay to go to school (ASHI sponsored ) 2,300 bucks and join ASHI to sit as a nobody…HAH! Now you work your ***** off to pay bills… 400 for licensing, 2,300 education, and the 400 for business license… Now add CE credits for every licensing cycle…300 and up… This is just the beginning. But wait…Just undercharge every inspector so you can “earn” full membership in ASHI… charge $175.00 for anything and everything…

Wait till your required to pay for insurance… :mad: We haven’t got to that point yet…

We have to ask is it in the best interest of the consumer or just a method to find new sources of revenue for the state…and someones interest.

Not in Illinois: http://www.nachi.org/moreillinoislicenses.htm
:cool: