FL Department of Business and Professional Regulation adds us to Stakeholder list.

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation adds us to their stakeholder list for upcoming home inspection licensing meetings.

Hello Nick:
So what does that means? Can you elaborate on the subject.

Regards

It means I have to fly to Tallahassee again.

Let us know as there should be a bunch of us that would be glad to assist you and meet you there.

Absotively.

I’ll go:D
just look for the blue Mini
Thanks Nick

Nick, let me know and I will be glad to round up a few inspectors in Panama City, Florida and we meet you there. Just 1.5 hours away (driving distance). Do you know what’s the deal?

Regards John M. Acaron

Looks like a little “after meeting party” is going to take place! :smiley:

I’ll go, let me know. I have relatives in the panhandle and have been looking for an excuse to go visit.

**Nick–The Northwest Florida Home Inspectors Association is attempting to become a stakeholder also. I could work through our current President to see if we could be your eyes and ears on this end if you like. It would likely entail an executive committee vote but it is something that we were working towards in any case. All of the contact information is current at the InterNACHI web site if you want to contact us directly. **

Nick,
Have you seen the latest post:
Senate Bill 2234 (2007), effective July 1, 2010, provides for licensure and regulation of home inspectors. Senate Bill 2234 does not provide for a Board of Home Inspectors. The program will be administered by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Prior to the effective date of the bill, the department will begin its implementation process, because rulemaking is necessary to establish education, examination and experience criteria.
Implementation: Over the summer of 2009, we will begin working with stakeholders to establish a regulatory structure for this profession. The department will work with its stakeholders to explore every feasible option, including certification examinations offered by nationally recognized organizations. Our desired goal is to have all requirements in place, including application forms and Web information, by July 1, 2010, so that we may begin accepting applications for licensure on that date. However, please bear in mind that the rulemaking process may be subject to challenges by interested parties that may require workshops or hearings. The department will ensure that all affected parties have ample opportunity for grandfathering or licensure prior to taking any enforcement activity.
Grandfathering: With regard to grandfathering, Section 468.8324, Florida Statutes, provides that persons who perform home inspections “may qualify to be licensed by the department…if the person meets the licensure requirements of this part by July 1, 2010.” As written, there appears to be no clear distinction between a grandfather applicant and applicants who have no prior home inspection experience. Part of our work this summer will be to work with stakeholders to develop recommendations to the Legislature to clarify the standards applicable to businesses who have historically provided this service.
Enforcement: After the law becomes effective, the department will ensure that all affected parties have ample opportunity for grandfathering or licensure prior to taking any enforcement activity.

Are you going to fight for grandfathering our members with at least 4 years in the business?? What is your stake on this matter?

In my opinion, if we are stuck with licensing, then everyone without exception should be required to pass whatever exam is necessary to be licensed. Grandfathering should be relegated only to the experience portion of the licensing requirements.

I have no problem with testing, just don’t make have to pay for a class just to stay in buiness.

If they do grandfather, it should be all in business when the bill became law should be grandfathered. They had it written this way at one time and then changed it. I guess only time will tell what the final product will be.

The exam should be easy, that is not the problem. The problem is that I’m tire paying so much money to the state for nothing in return. Additionally, anybody can pass the exam; does that make you a qualified home inspector…?? We will have everybody and there brother taking the dam test and then what… The rates will fall like a sack of $$$$hiiitt. Business will suck. Just keep it like it is. Licensing will NOT help our clients. Beside my clients always do there on DD. If you are good and have the correct credential you will be successful if not you will starve and go find a part time job. Simple.

John M. Acaron, PE
HOMEINSPECTORUSA, LLC
BS Mechanical Engineer
TD Mechanical Engineer
Former Licensed Contractor
Certified Home Inspector InterNACHI

What historically has happened is if there is a test, there will be all kinds of classes and schoolhouses pop up and they will “teach the test” so anyone who has the bucks can go in, take the course, take the test (this just generates more money for someone else), it won’t be a test on anyone’s ability, nor can it be. You will be bumping into home inspectors for about 3-5 years afterwards. Those who are in business now and have been will still be in business only they will have to compete with each new batch of HI the schools pump out, who in turn will last one to three years if that in this economy. Most Home Inspectors will simply have to adjust their fees to compete with all the $99 guys who will falling out of the trees. This whole thing has simply been a political football for Crist to kick around for some favors from those who stand to gain the most from it. Customers will lose, the HI will lose, the State will lose. This keeps repeating itself with every State that does it.

Make sure you come to the next meeting with me.

You are absolutely correct. Another business will make lots of money (schools) and private lectures. What a rip off. It is already happening with Thermal imaging and then what. Business will be so competitive that Nick will have to lower his membership rates in order to have a large quota. If you look at the statistics the state of Florida has more InterNachi inspectors than any other state in the union. The other day I quote an inspection at $815.00 a multimillion dollar property on the beach, 5 hours away from my home base round trip. You figure 3 to 4 hours doing the field work + 4 hours the report + gas (60.00/gas) and you get 58.00/hour. Not worth it. The whole day shot. Another inspector that is starving and does not know his *****$ from a hole in the ground got the job for $325.00 = $22.00/hr I guess that beats minimum wages.

Now with this licensing can you imagine… Dam I might go back to built houses or do some Engineering work.

Licensing solves nothing. There are good and bad in every industry, licensed or not. We find defects and poor workmanship everyday from licensed tradesmen.

I can’t imagine why anyone would push for licensing when things are fine the way they are. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Instead, let’s meet the night before and have a group marketing meeting.