Flashing On ledger board for deck brick construction

Originally Posted By: jmerritt1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Got a phone call from small builder, I questioned a missing flashing on a deck (1-St floor) Ledger board was installed to brick veneer with some of the veneer chipped away to accommodate Ledger board,(2"x 10") . Builder stated to me that one was not needed, only on siding, I have to go look up Chicago code tomorrow, just wanted other input,

Originally Posted By: jwortham

So the builder broke the brick veneer to install a ledger, exposing the wall structural members and then decided it didn’t need a flashing to prevent water from pouring down in the wall he just broke?

That about sum it up Jeff? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: Steven Brewster

Do you have pics?

Originally Posted By: jmerritt1

Hi Jeff

Yes that about sums it up, he keeps telling me that the Chicago code dose not show on drawing, however if he would look at the rest of drawing he would see that he has a frame building and not a brick structure, funny thing is Chicago drawings all show flashing, but not mentioned in code,

But Jeff I AM CONTRACTOR,. Will have show down on Saturday , will get pic’s then,

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Jeff,

Who cares if it's code? I don't. No flashing means its wrong. Code or not.

I wouldn't get in a pissing contest with him though. I'd just give the client my opinion and move on.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Never let code enter into the conversation with contractors. They, pr9obably, will be unable to speak any other language, but just keep saying your standards are state set and exceed code.

I actually had a guy who told me, right to my face, that if he exceeded code standards that that, all by itself, would be a violation of code.

In other words. New construction. Long electrical run to master bedroom (> 130"). All outlets measured as having > 12% voltage drop on 15 amp curcuits.

Told the contractor that the run was too long and/or he had some loose connections. Recommended that he run 12 AWG instead of 14. He said that to use 12 AWG on a 15 amp circuit would be a code violation.

Some of these small time GCs really need to get a clue. They are just cookbooking.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: dandersen

jwortham wrote:
Jeff,

Who cares if it's code? I don't. No flashing means its wrong. Code or not.

I wouldn't get in a pissing contest with him though. I'd just give the client my opinion and move on.

Amen!

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Curious, as to where the local code enforcement was in this scenario, electrical and plumbing inspector also or if the code enforcement did all?

Marcel