Flat Roof Inspection

This was my first flat roof inspection. I’m unsure about what I saw during the inspection. The roof covered an add-on room to existing structure. Could someone help by identifying anything in particular. Thanks

Granulated cap sheet (mod bit), with previous repairs (patches and sealants). Different types of patching compounds indicate more than one previous repair attempt.

The stained circular area is evidence of ponding. In the middle of that sagging / ponding area is a large “repair”, (sealant smeared over the seam) typically seen where leakage has occurred.

What did the ceiling below look like?

3 Likes

The ceiling was intact. Added-on sunroom built by Grandpa. Thanks for the help!

And looks to be about that old!
Generically, it looks to be about 20+ years past due for replacement.
If the Sunroom is not a “finished space” I would mention the age and condition of the roof, and to maintain repairs as needed, with replacement in the near future.
If covering a “finished space”… replacement is imminent… better sooner than later!!

1 Like

The roof covering material was old, weathered, worn, and past its useful life. Multiple repair attempts with various sealant types were made, most of which are failing. Based on the observed condition, I recommend replacing the roof covering immediately.

Do not be afraid to tell it like it is.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a finished space.

Your report is to identify things that do not function as intended…

Can’t tell in a picture of the roof if it functions. Do you have anything observed or tested that indicates it is not functioning?

(iii) State any systems or components so inspected that do not function as
intended, allowing for normal wear and tear, or adversely affect the
habitability of the dwelling;

You should not try to predict the future.
You can describe the condition, but leave it at that.

(6) General Exclusions.
(a) Home inspectors are not required to report on:

1. Life expectancy of any component or system;
  2. The cause(s) of the need for a repair;
  3. The methods, materials, and costs of corrections;

This post is labeled: Flat Roof Inspection
Is this the only thing they want inspected?
If so, they are likely expecting more information than a simple observation, which they probably already made before calling you.