Flat Roof - Help with language

Hey guys,

I rarely see flat roofs. Can you guys help me describe the condition of this flat roof. I don’t have great verbiage for this.

Thanks.

I don’t know why but I just see blue squares with ? marks in them…no pictures.

Can you say what the roof is made of?
Are there areas of evidence of ponding?
Is there a slight slope to the complete roof?
Is there blistering or bubbling?

Sorry, but I appear to be blind to helping without any pictures.

These may help:
http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/113418
http://www.roofselfcheck.com/flat-roof-issues/
http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Flat-Roof-Inspection-with-a-Focus-on-Modified-Bitumen/1834

The InterNACHI roofing course is good, too, but I can’t find it just now. Look in your education area.

I believe the roof is made of Modified Bitumen. No blistering or bubbling and there is a slight slope to the roof. There’s a drainage problem in one area of the roof where dirt and debris is collecting.

Mostly the Bitumen is cracking over the entire surface of the roof. I couldn’t find any evidence of current leaks but I know it’s just a matter of time.

I don’t know why you can’t see the pictures, the show up on my end.

Mostly, I don’t see a lot of flat roofs and I’m just looking for someone to tell me that the roof is at the end of it’s lifespan. Trying to be reasonable but not alarming…

I do a lot of flat roofs, it does appear to mod bit, definitely older with significant cracking. At or near end of useful life.

Thank you so much.

Modified Bitumen roof has significant signs of aging and weathering with cracking over ___% of the roof, A licensed roofing contractor is recommended to evaluate and repair prior to close of escrow

That’s what I’m talking about!

I would suggest leaving out the “close of escrow” comment.
It’s our job to recommend evaluation by a licensed roofer in this
case. Typically we call it “Getting a roof certification” around here.

Whether any repairs or replacement are performed and when is
up to negotiations between the seller/agent and buyer/agent.

Modified Bitumen {silvered} with signs of alligatored material { indicating age ] .
I would take a better look at that parapet wall as the shot with sloped roof looks suspicious seam ?] end of wall material issue ] and be sure they used cant strips which prevent sharp bends {90 degrees}.

Here is a comment I have from my library.

“At time of the inspection there was significant cracking and deterioration noted to the low sloped or flat modified bitumen roof, this condition typically indicates the roof is at or near the end of its general usefulness. Recommend further evaluation from a qualified roofing contractor and any corrective action that may be needed.”

1 Like

From the InterNACHI Narratives:

“Asphalt crazing- QC
The asphalt covering the flat roof exhibited extensive, relatively uniform craze-cracking.
Craze cracking happens as asphalt loses a significant amount of the chemical compounds (volatiles) that keep it waterproof and stable. As volatiles evaporate over time, the asphalt surface layer shrinks, cracks, and eventually leaks.
This roof may be at or near the end of its useful life. The Inspector recommends that before the expiration of your Inspection Objection Deadline, you consult with a qualified roofing contractor to discuss options and costs for replacement.”

Remove the middle paragraph for a shorter narrative.

2 Likes