Flat roof question

So if the transition area is corrected, you think the remaining EPDM installation is fine?

Leaves need to be cleaned off so it doesn’t hold water. :slight_smile:

Oh, BTW, don’t send that roofer up my way will you./ :wink:

Marcel:)

Still waiting for Ronald to answer my question.

On this roof, their is no problem with the aluminum coating, as it looks freshly done. My concern would be, why was it recently done?

What voids and deteriorated roofing surface were they trying to conceal just before an inspection.

90# is the poorest choice of available built up roofing materials to be used as a flashing membrane. From the bleed out under the flashings along the short parapet wall, it looks so consistent, that at first glance, I would have said that was a modified bitumen APP torch down applied flashing, but the aluminum coated granule surface fives that away.

I am surprised so far, that no one has commented on the installation of the slant back mushroom vents, (turtle vents), installed on a flat roofing application.

The 2 most commonly used definitions of ponding water, are either 48 hours or 72 hours after the most recent rain, where puddled pools of water remain after that time frame. You still have to account for the condeste dripage from the p-pipes of the HVAC units on the roof top curbs, which continually expell moisture onto the roof. Also, you have to be aware of the morning condensation from dew, if that is causing a new daily amount of moisture accumulation.

Ed

Barry,

Pictures 1 and 4 look to be a different roof system from pictures 2 and 3, or the membrane roof has become so coated with dried up algae and silt, that is is indistinguishable from the wall membrane materials.

From looking at the prefabricated outside corner piece on the close up of the IS and OS wall area, it looks like a Duro-Last membrane roof system. The horizontal dielectrically welded seam near the top of the wall flashing material seems to back that up as well. If so, their warranty does not exclude ponding water as an out for warranty purposes. The contractor should have welded a placard somewhere on the roof with the Duro-Last roof name and number on it.

I see on the picture, what looks to be a gravel stop edge detail, which, if this is the lowest side pitched elevation of the roof, should not have the raised profile to it, which is preventing the water from draining properly.

The bagginess of the wall material is typical of a contractor who does not take the time and effort to stretch the membrane tight up the wall to the nailer on the top of the parapet wall. Although cosmetically detracting, it is probably still functional and water-tight.

The multitude of small patches in the IS corner transition to the top of the short parapet wall, is due to the fact that they did not order the prefabricated corner pieces for that unusual, but commonly found detail. They made field applied custom patches for that detail instead.

Ed

edit:
I doubt it is the Duro-Last brand, since it seems to have aluminum termination bars runing up the parapet wall vertically, and Duro-Last uses their own proprietary extruded PVC termination bars. Also, I saw no view which showed the required 2-way PVC breather vents installed.

It is some other brand simulating the DL roofing system
Bond Cote
At-Last
C-Ply
2 others that I can not think of the names right now.
Fiber-tite
Custom-Seal