Flexible gas piping OK for exterior?

Thank you

Mark…that information is specific to Duke Energy on the east coast. Check with your local AHJ fo be sure what is required in Tucson. Also, did you donwload the mfg installation isntructions I posted in post #13?

Bob, this Ray Horn, El Paso. Do you happen to have a UPC or other code that states CSST or appliance connectors are not allowed for exterior use? thanks

flexible gas pipe pictured here is not CSST.

Found this today, thought it might be a nice addition to this thread.

As I understand it this flexible gas tubing should not be installed through an exterior wall unless it is sleved with a larger diameter rigid pipe, and the exterior portion should also be protected from physical damage due to being less than 6’ above grade. In this case it is an improper instalation and seems a poor choice overall. Preferably this should be rigid pipe through the wall and flexible connector just for the gas log fireplace appliance.

I am curious to know how my fellow inspectors would write this up.

1 Like

Yes I would. As well as the rusted rigid pipe.

1 Like

I would write it up. The CSST pipe should go through a sleeve as it penetrates the brick and it should be protected from damage.

2 Likes

Welcome back to our forum, Joshua Young!..Enjoy participating. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’d absolutely write this up, identifying a hazard for the flex pipe potential damage, and the potential for rust through on the rigid pipe. I’d say that it needs replacement from end to end by a qualified licensed plumbing professional with a permit.

No need to get too deep into the details: pass it on as the plumber will see the same thing, doubly so if working on a permit job.

1 Like