FLIR Releases New Inferior IR Camera

The end is near.

lolololol

The ad leads one to believe that this is a pro camera.

Resnet says 120x120 is the minimum detector resolution, personally I would not use anything less than 160x120 not to mention other thermal imager specifications that are important like thermal sensativity and temperature range.

I see nothing wrong with the C2 if your just using it to enhance an inspection but I strongly believe this will kill chances for most guys who want to use thermal reports as an ancillary sale.

I agree Mike, these type cameras will be purchased and used by inspectors and presented as “real IR.” The public relies on us to be honest and no one will ask if the camera we use is adequate for a real estate deal.

This is a bad move on Flir’s part. Yesterday I was going to buy an E6 or E8 camera and now I’m getting a Testo. Had a lot to do with the C2 offering.

Cheaper services and tools have always been with us. Welcome to reality.

If you see that a reason to stay in the same pond as the minows, then that is your choice. To say one cannot provice superior services and use quality professional tools to make more income is failed logic.

And it is working on convincing others…

And sad part is the price of $699.

Which is not much more than some open box or refurb.

http://store.flir.com/category/refurbished

Even a i5 is only $200 more as a refurb. And no… I would not recommend an i5… but it is better than the C2. And I bet some of the student prices on entry level devices may not be too are out of this line either. FLIR is not doing themselves or the industry any favors here.

I contacted FLIR from the C2 promo page. I ask them if the C2 would be considered a Professional Level camera for a building inspector.

This was their reply…

With regards to your question…the C2 is a lower resolution than many of FLIR’s professional level Thermographers are accustomed to at 80 x 60. Please feel free to call me to discuss our entire product lineup so that we can best recommend a camera for your Professional needs.

As you see, they are not willing to say the C2 is a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL camera for a building inspector. They chose their words very carefully.

If it was a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL camera, they would be shouting it from the roof top. You can contact them and verify this for yourself.

I now have a senior sales marketing rep, a regional sales rep, and the RESNET standard as a verification that the C2 is NOT a camera recommended for a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL building inspection.

Yet, I know that some will go out and fool your clients with these inferior cameras just because you can and it is cheaper. Some of you guys scare the hell out of me.

Seems it would be good enough for interior water intrusion scans above windows or under roof sheathing.
Thats all I care about.

Now, that all depends on EXACTLY how your question was worded. Funny that you didn’t post that for us to see. Their answer means nothing without the context of your question.

“Seems it would be” is a confession of no training and no exerience.
Go for it.

The next time you need professional advise on a matter be sure to find
someone with no experience or training. Seems it would be fine.

I did post my question…

I ask if the C2 a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL infrared camera that can be used by building inspectors?

Why don’t ask them and verify it. That way there will be no doubt. It took me about 2 minutes. Do you really want to know? Tell us what you find out so we can learn.

I’d say they are shouting it from the roof tops.

From the link you posted:

They may not say it’s good enough for a Professional Home Inspection, but they just described a home inspection: Non-destructive assessment.

Pretty ironic that’s what all the level 3 guys say about you John.
Many say you are not qualified to teach so you should avoid making statements like that.

What level thermographer are you again ?

I agree, they will not say it is good enough for a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL of ANYTHING.

They are indeed careful to proclaim their better cameras are a PROFESSIONAL LEVEL thermal imager… but the C2, not a word about being used at PROFESSIONAL LEVEL.

Thats why the sales manager from the FLIR C2 page told me to contact him so he could recommend a camera for PROFESSIONAL NEEDS, after letting me know the C2 was indeed below the level of what PROFESSIONALs use.

Prove me wrong and collect $100. Should be easy.:mrgreen:

To get paid … provide a written statement from FLIR that the C2 camera is a “professional level” camera that can be used for building inspections. FLIR uses the term “professional level” on many of their higher resolution cameras, but avoids that term on the toys.

An interesting article about thermal imaging and another opinion.

Good reading

Considering the person writing the article has no IR training listed on his website or offers no IR services… and based on the incorrect statements he makes… I see why he makes a conclusion at the end of his essay that he says thermal imaging is not a reason to hire a home inspector.

He is just throwing out several mis-understandings he has to convince people why his service, without IR, is just as good as someone who does use an IR camera.

I am just saying the obvious from a point of view of someone who has seen this level of blather many times before. He does a good job trying. I did not want to pick apart his entire text. He did make a few good points.

You’re arguing semantics.

What is a professional?

You say they don’t use the world professional, but they do say:

Who has customers?

If you get paid for doing something, that makes the person paying a customer and the person doing the service receiving financial return

By stating it can used to show customers, it directly goes to the dictionary definition of “professional”.

It also says clearly says:

It clearly says Pro.

Pro is short for professional.

Flir clearly says this camera is suited for pros (professionals) who work for a living, making the user of this camera by definition a professional.

And what it does it say right at the top of the page?

You are right, that was easy. :smiley:

I just took a thermal image of the posts on this thread, a few were in the higher temperature levels and I conclude they count as anomolies.

One showed evidence of moisture intrusion and 2 obviously had high gas content, I could not qualitively identify the gas but I suspect methane, I left that tester in my truck.

Good thread.

I had same impression.