FLIR Releases New Inferior IR Camera

FLIR has released a new inferior IR camera that will tempt many people to save money at the expense of having a reliable resolution camera for home inspections. The resolution on this new offering is still no more than the cell phone IR camera they sell… which is 80x60.

Remember, even FLIR’s own sales manager does not recommend anything less than than the FLIR e6 for home inspectors (160x120 resolution). Contact me to verify this.

Now feast your yearning eyes on the new FLIR C2.

Here we go again :roll:

Aimed at contractors and home inspectors.

This would be the “handwriting on the wall” that signifies that the “end is near” for most companies. Good riddance. You guys (Flir) have been ‘cocky’ long enough. Time to move over and get out of the way.

I have a written statement from FLIR’s sales manager saying that he does not recommend anything less than the FLIR e6 (160x120 resolution) for professional IR home inspections.

The RESNET standards puts the lowest resolution that is functional at 120x120.

If you contact FLIR and ask them to show you in writing that they recommend 80x60 resolution for “Professional Infrared Home Inspections” you will get a variety of answers that dance around the subject. They will tell you to decide for your self. What they have never done is put out a specific statement in writing saying 80x60 resolution can be used at a professional level for building inspections.

Please provide proof that I am wrong, if you can, and I will pay you $100.

To get paid … provide a written statement from FLIR that the C2 camera is a “professional level” camera that can be used for building inspections. FLIR uses the term “professional level” on many of their higher resolution cameras, but avoids that term on the toys.

Just saying a camera can be used to look at bla, bla, bla is not the same thing. It is marketing in general terms and many a novice will buy these type of low resolution cameras because cheap is the only filter their brain uses. It is human nature to look for the easy and cheap way to do something and therefore people are snookered into buying an inferior product that cannot produce reliable results for a professional level infrared building inspection.

Its called deception, and miss leading, and people not educating themselves get caught in the cross fire and ultimately pay the price, as well as consumers hiring someone.

If companies were not so worried about there bottom dollar and actually cared about the industry they would make sure that this is not to be confused with a professional tool.

Yes I know its the free market but people end up hurt and very few are served well by these types of ploys. JMHO

Well said.

C2 ad

Show More with Sensitive Thermal Imaging and a Wide FOV The C2’s 4800-pixel resolution, high sensitivity detector captures and displays subtle thermal patterns and small temperature differences useful in building applications. **And a generous 45° field-of-view frames in more of the scene the way pros need to see it. **

Sounds like Flir is saying use this for a pro inspection.

[ATTACH]Flir C2.jpg[/ATTACH]
The enhancement feature helps the resolution.
Nice find.

John are you saying the video is faked ?

$699.00

Flir c2 2.jpg

If you offer free thermal this will do the job. That’s how I read the C2 ad.

Most homeowners will be impressed with this tool and believe their getting a thermal report from someone who is an expert.

Its the future I guess.

This may be the one I get .

Get a written statement from FLIR saying it is a “professional level” camera for building inspections. Should be easy for you to do, yes?

Anyone can make a nice video in ideal delta t conditions that will market a camera, but are they willing to say… the C2 camera is a “professional level” camera that can be used for building inspections. FLIR uses the term “professional level” on many of their higher resolution cameras, but avoids that term on the toys.

Since you have no experience, then the video is sucking you in.

Do you realize how easy it is to miss a defect, even with a professional level IR camera? Do you realize the liability you face once you have made the client believe they have been given a professional level IR scan? Just fooling them is not our goal, for God sake.

My clients would not be impressed.

I would hate to have to guess.

Agree.

I have a very nice FLIR camera and took the time and expense to get the proper training to use it.

And my reward for investing in nice equipment and education is FLIR now saying any of these cheap $199 home inspector can advertise the same service.

Because the average home buyer isn’t going to research what camera I have vs the cheap guy, and even if they did, it’s doubtful they’re going to understand the difference.

There are several FLIR dealers who monitor this IR forum and they are not willing to jump in and say that 80x60 resolution cameras are a “Professional Level” camera for building inspections. They are not stupid.

When I saw Tom Siva with an inexpensive IR on his Iphone in a recent episode of this old house I knew it was over for charging anything for IR during a home inspection.

Oh well. I will use my FLIR when it makes sense to do so.

The market is flooded with inspectors who still do hand written check list reports that are given out at the end of the inspections. They sometimes charge as little as $125.

Should we just assume there is no sense trying to charge more than that?

I believe that we should learn to market our service to quality minded people who are willing to pay for the value of superior services, including IR.

Charging less and providing inferior services is not the answer IMHO. I think you agree with that.

It is what it is John.

When people see you can buy an inexpensive IR it will be very hard to convince them you want extra $$$ to use it for their home inspection.

Its my opinion nothing more.